ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Matt Paint

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Hi,

I just purchased a Clio 220 with matt white paint.
Iv been using monster shine products and they have advised there snow foam doesn't have any polish etc in it. purely cleaning agent that foams.

They have also advised there apple shamppo is the same.

Can anyone advise if there is anything i should worry about?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Don't want anything with gloss enhancers or anything in, just a plain shampoo and Ph neutral foam.

Steer away from anything designed for gloss enhancing ect you want a dedicated matte care kit

I.e swissvax opaque, chemical guys matte ect

Had matt paint for 6 years now, aslong as you keep it protected it’s easy to look after, doesn’t swirl ect just don’t scratch it, it’s a nightmare to match

bf4a3b24d3f5d27523c8840343cc7154.jpg

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
What do you do if you scratch matt paint? I’m presuming you can’t polish out the scratch?

That would put me off owning one. It’s so easy to put light scratches in paint.

Hmmm not really, if you are referring to lights scratches in the sense of swirls they don’t exist you end up flatting the top coat before you will see them

If you catch it with a screw driver that’s a different story

The lacquer is just as tough as any gloss paint

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Hmmm not really, if you are referring to lights scratches in the sense of swirls they don’t exist you end up flatting the top coat before you will see them

If you catch it with a screw driver that’s a different story

The lacquer is just as tough as any gloss paint

Not swirls, general wear and tear scratches that haven’t broken the clear coat. The kind that you can easily see but can be polished out using G3 compound. Even if they can’t be polished out completely they can be reduced to such an extent that they’re pretty much invisible to the naked eye.

I’m presuming that with matt paint even the slightest, finest scratch can’t be improved?

Not swirls, general wear and tear scratches that haven’t broken the clear coat. The kind that you can easily see but can be polished out using G3 compound. Even if they can’t be polished out completely they can be reduced to such an extent that they’re pretty much invisible to the naked eye.

I’m presuming that with matt paint even the slightest, finest scratch can’t be improved?

You really don’t see them, it’s due to the rough finish matte lacquer has (not rough to the touch) compared to gloss, it reflects light in a different way so they literally don’t show up,

The only wear and tear scratches you can get are from being a womble and not taking care of it, which any car enthusiast should do anywhere

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
You really don’t see them, it’s due to the rough finish matte lacquer has (not rough to the touch) compared to gloss, it reflects light in a different way so they literally don’t show up,

The only wear and tear scratches you can get are from being a womble and not taking care of it, which any car enthusiast should do anywhere

Ok cool, so what you’re basically saying is a visible scratch on matt would be the equivalent of a scratch which has penetrated the clear coat on a lacquered/gloss car?