ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Matched inlets.

clio 172 phase 2
Are these really worth it seen set in the fOrsale section. Can sumone tell me the benifits ? And disadvantages

172 cup
Are you referring to mine for sale? Do a search, loads of threads on it in the past

I personally found improved MPG, better throttle response, increased mid range power and all in all nice drive

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Depends on the casting of your standard inlets, I think mine were pretty good to begin with,
when I got matched inlets I didn't really noticed anything other than a smaller bank balance.

But alot of people have said it's one of the best mods they've done.

Make sure you check your lower inlet before you spend any money,
if it's got R.S. on it then the casting's much better than the non R.S. ones,
and a matched lower inlet won't really make much of a difference.

Last edited:
  clio 172 phase 2
So if i have a rs stamped lower inlet i then have matched inlets sorry ifni sound dumb ita juat im
Confused .

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
So if i have a rs stamped lower inlet i then have matched inlets sorry ifni sound dumb ita juat im
Confused .

No.

Basically you have -

1. Standard inlets
2. Standard inlets with RS Stamp which are supposedly better cast.
3. Matched which are either of the above machined to improve flow.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
If you have an RS stamped lower inlet, fitting a matched inlet wont make any noticable difference to the performance. (apparently)
Not sure about the upper inlet though.

The casting on the RS stamped inlets was alot better than standard.

172 cup
Mine DID have RS stamped inlets and although the casting is slightly better then others I've seen I still found an improvement when fitting matched inlets

Just to clarify the ones im selling are matched top and bottom

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Mine DID have RS stamped inlets and although the casting is slightly better then others I've seen I still found an improvement when fitting matched inlets

Just to clarify the ones im selling are matched top and bottom

Like wise, mine were RS Stamped and I noticed a difference.

Nissan 350z
Like most mods i think you have to look at them as a peice, rather than a complete thing. Remap, Matched Inlets, Induction all are pretty much insignificant on their own but id say you really get the full potential when you combine them.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe that's it then, as the first thing I did was get a decent exhaust, then inlets, remap, then the JMS V6 airbox/induction setup in that order.

So maybe getting inlets that early on was never going be noticeable.

Maybe that's it then, as the first thing I did was get a decent exhaust, then inlets, remap, then the JMS V6 airbox/induction setup in that order.

So maybe getting inlets that early on was never going be noticeable.

Have you noticed an improvement since doing all this? I've got a decat, thinking about inlets and remap next? Then v6 airbox most likely.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Oh definitely, the cars totally different from when I bought it,
and I have the opposite of the placebo effect in my head, I always asume any mod isn't going to be as good as people say,
so on a few mods i've been pleasantly surprised.

Remap was the best by far, Fastchip RS Tuner box.

The V6 airbox is a tricky one, most people say it'll make sod all difference and that the oem airbox and paper filer are best,
personally I noticed a slight reduction in power lower down, but a slight improvement higher up,
but seeing as all the fun's to be had above 4k rpm any slight loss lower down didn't really matter that much.

It does make one hell of a noise though, in a good way.

Last edited:
  275 Trophy
Is there any info as to whether these (RS stamped) were fitted to ph1's, ph2's, early cars, late cars, 172's, 182's?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Is there any info as to whether these (RS stamped) were fitted to ph1's, ph2's, early cars, late cars, 172's, 182's?

As far as I know they were fitted to 172cups and then some later 172s early 182s,
tbh I don't think even the French know which cars they fitted them to.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
i picked up a nicely matched lower inlet a while back for my ph1 which apparently have the worst castings, in all honesty didnt notice any difference, but lets face it at best they will give u a couple of extra bhp which u will never notice anyway, but my car does drive nicely and pulls well. if u dont have rs casted inlets i would buy a matched set, any improvement u can get on these cars for circa 100 is worth it imho. for best results a nice remap after having them fitted would give u a good few bhp and torque and smooth out the drive. iv been tempted to get a rs tuner for a while now but cant be bothered with all the hassle involved/unlocking/downloading correct files etc etc.

Depends on the casting of your standard inlets, I think mine were pretty good to begin with,
when I got matched inlets I didn't really noticed anything other than a smaller bank balance.

But alot of people have said it's one of the best mods they've done.

Make sure you check your lower inlet before you spend any money,
if it's got R.S. on it then the casting's much better than the non R.S. ones,
and a matched lower inlet won't really make much of a difference.

Lower inlet gives all the gains

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The only thing that matched inlets is realistically going to do is slightly alter the flow characteristics of the engine, because we are dealing with a speed/density based system it means that the ecu cannot see those changes others than via the lambda sensor (as it has no airflow meter)
There is no way its going to lead to better economy or better "throttle response" unless your engine had a fault to begin with that has been partially cancelled out by the slight change in flow.

At the top end you really should gain a couple of bhp from the better flowing inlet if its mapped correctly for the change, but thats about all you are realistically going to see, anything else people think they are seeing is likely to be placebo effect or incorrect measuring of before and after data.

Its a small change, and it gives small gains, but even small gains on these engines are hard to find many other places!

172 cup
How can it if the top inlet isn't matched to suit? Thats like connecting a big diameter straw to a smaller diameter straw and expecting to get the same flow when drinking a glass of coke as what you would get with two big diameter straws. . . just dosn't work like that

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
the bottom inlet is the one with s**t casting, not the top, doing the top does naff all.

Lionel Richie
The only thing that matched inlets is realistically going to do is slightly alter the flow characteristics of the engine, because we are dealing with a speed/density based system it means that the ecu cannot see those changes others than via the lambda sensor (as it has no airflow meter)
There is no way its going to lead to better economy or better "throttle response" unless your engine had a fault to begin with that has been partially cancelled out by the slight change in flow.

At the top end you really should gain a couple of bhp from the better flowing inlet if its mapped correctly for the change, but thats about all you are realistically going to see, anything else people think they are seeing is likely to be placebo effect or incorrect measuring of before and after data.

Its a small change, and it gives small gains, but even small gains on these engines are hard to find many other places!

did you forget about the MAP sensor?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
dont try to be logical with him, you'll get 4 paragraphs of waffle. He's already pissed off the entire mk1 community with his drivel

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
did you forget about the MAP sensor?

No of course not, hence I said its a speed density based setup, but if it now flows better after the map sensor for the same pressure differential the ecu has no way of seeing the extra flow. Same speed (engine rpm) same density (MAP) = same fuelling as before.

Megane 225 F1
Correct me if I'm wrong but better airflow will increase performance even if its not much. It's logical.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Correct me if I'm wrong but better airflow will increase performance even if its not much. It's logical.

If matched with the appropriate fueling, yes, absolutely it will, improving airflow is the key thing with tuning a petrol engine.

172 cup
No of course not, hence I said its a speed density based setup, but if it now flows better after the map sensor for the same pressure differential the ecu has no way of seeing the extra flow. Same speed (engine rpm) same density (MAP) = same fuelling as before.

flowing better after the MAP sensor will obviously increase air flow through the whole inlet, how else would it get to the lower inlet without going threw the top one first

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
flowing better after the MAP sensor will obviously increase air flow through the whole inlet, how else would it get to the lower inlet without going threw the top one first

Yes of course.
And how will the ECU now know that it is flowing better? In closed loop it can use the lambda sensor to see, but in open loop (ie full throttle) it cant.

So if your fuelling was correct before, and you are now in the same cell on the map you were before, so you are still putting the same amount of fuel in, and you are now flowing more air, than you are now too lean.
Hence my point that to make the most of it you will need to remap the ecu.

ANY change that alters the amount of airflow that you get for the same map sensor reading will result in the fuelling becoming inaccurate if it was correct to begin with.

It's doing things like better flowing exhaust and matched inlets without a remap that is your best way to increase the chance of your egts going up and encouraging the heads to fall off your exhaust valves. (and yes we all know someone who has done it and got away with it, just like we all know someone who has gone past the belt change interval and got away with it)

172/1.2/E30
Do you actually know what a MAP sensor is? It means manifold absolute pressure => it measures the absolute pressure in the inlet which is normally lower than atmospheric pressure on NA engines as you have a suction effect in the inlet. If you alter the airflow (slightly with matched inlets), you'll automatically alter the pressure in the inlet as these 2 things are physically related.

Do you actually know what a MAP sensor is? It means manifold absolute pressure => it measures the absolute pressure in the inlet which is normally lower than atmospheric pressure on NA engines as you have a suction effect in the inlet. If you alter the airflow (slightly with matched inlets), you'll automatically alter the pressure in the inlet as these 2 things are physically related.

except that he map sensor is pretty much in the plenum and you're making flow improvements after that.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Given that I have spent the last decade or so mapping cars primarily on speed density based ECU's yes I know EXACTLY what a map sensor is, and I also know exactly how if you have one near the plenum and then improve the flow after the plenum the map sensor WILL NOT see that change in flow, especially if a lot of the flow improvement comes not from a change in pressure in the lower inlet section, but from a change in flow at the same pressure from removing the lip which causes localised disturbances in the air which hinders airflow for any given pressure differential.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
but when you have a CAF 2inches off the ground at 3am in -10degrees, ram air innit! brap and ting

The ECU has an intake temperature sensor which allows it to compensate for greater air density due to varying temperature of air.
Its the thing total morons stick a resistor on to make their car over fuel all the time and lose them power, lol