ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Manual Steering Rack

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Does anyone run a manual steering rack?
Before people say it's to hard and not worth it, I use the car just for track and is trailered around everywhere.
I am racing the car next year and I keep having issues with my power steering at the minute so think I might just bin it all off and go manual see how it is...
Peoples thoughts would be good also if you do do it what rack did you use?
Thanks Josh

katana2

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Racing Blue
I've done two track with manual sterring.
I lovely but its so hard

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
I'm in a similar boot to you @Josh

Can't make mind up on steering so I'm gunna fit the DCi manual rack and give it go. Least then you can jump to EPAS as when.

I fitted a manual rack to my track Ibiza and loved it. Was hard around town but shift it was good. Running too much camber tho made it very snatchy if the weight shifted to much, which could be hard catch when really pressing on.
Picture1802_zps463aeac3.jpg

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
@Chambers_RS have to let me know what it is like.
What's your plan just by a DCi manual rack and fit it take all the unnecessary stuff out and see how it goes?

My Clio is used just for track and will be racing next year, my only worry is that it's going to be tight say around 20mph corners or sharp S bends for example

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
@Chambers_RS have to let me know what it is like.
What's your plan just by a DCi manual rack and fit it take all the unnecessary stuff out and see how it goes?

My Clio is used just for track and will be racing next year, my only worry is that it's going to be tight say around 20mph corners or sharp S bends for example

Yeah I'd just fit the rack and remove the rest.

But I have same concern as you, don't wanna ruin the car by making it worse or not liking it and having to spend more money to change it back or upgrade lol. (Talking myself out of it here lol)
I have a rack tho and my engine is coming out soon for some tastey upgrades so I'll decide then I reckon.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Yeah I'd just fit the rack and remove the rest.

But I have same concern as you, don't wanna ruin the car by making it worse or not liking it and having to spend more money to change it back or upgrade lol. (Talking myself out of it here lol)
I have a rack tho and my engine is coming out soon for some tastey upgrades so I'll decide then I reckon.
Just do it I say take one for the team...;)
If it's s dci rack though that's what's used for EPAS anyway say it will just be the other bits to buy

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Just do it I say take one for the team...:wink:
If it's s dci rack though that's what's used for EPAS anyway say it will just be the other bits to buy

Yeah exactly, just upgrading to ESAP is more money when I've just brought a diff and 4pot brakes and other stuff. I just wanna abuse the car haha. Need an ecu or to get mine mapped for a RS2 :)

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
My big money will be spend over the winter trying to get ready for racing next year, was thinking an RS2 inlet but then might just make the jump to bodies haha
@Chambers_RS where did you get your poly windows from

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Work in progress but think I'm chickening out tbf.
I work for GSF and rang round all the major recon and new suppliers of steering racks and all the there records and cross referencing points to DCi racks being 3:1 lock to lock.
I've even physically tried the mk1 racks and mk3 racks and none come close to the cup lock to lock.

I wanna stay 2.5 lock to lock at the most, gunna probably stick to hydraulic for now as I wanna get on a track beginning of November. May try and add a small cooler to keep it from boiling the fluid. Maybe a small mocal cooler?

What you thinking about racks?

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Tried it they still claim it to be 3.1 and they list them DCi rack to have use the same rack from start to finish.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Previous track cars I have owned didn't have PAS.....Triumph 2000 and a Mk1 Fiesta. Didn't noticed it on track, but did at slow speeds pulling onto and off the track. I will not comment on the Triumph's other handling "issues" lol