ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Managed Wireless Solutions (Home)

Yellow 197
I'm wanting to devise a 3 tier wireless solution. The managed wireless solution must be 1GB capable and intelligently roam between WAP's.

I'm wanting a low end one quite cheap, a mid end system and a high end system.

Currently we are using billion routers and Netgear WAP's but they are just standalone dumb WAP's so don't roam automatically between themselves. We also use Pakedge/Fortigates/Fortinets which are quite high end with managed switches and WAP's.

Can I set up cheaper WAP's into bridged mode so devices will automatically roam or will this drop bandwidth? Do I need a central console to tell the WAP's/devices to roam?

Any help much appreciated guys! :)

Rav4
What is cheap to you?

Additionally, 1GB capable, on the LAN connection or on the wireless (wireless you will need compatible devices and it will be bloody expensive?)

There are many options you have available.

Some people like purchasing compatible hardware with DD-WRT and using that, as it provides a lot of extensive functionality.

Others like buying professional equipment.

Why 3 different tiers/systems?

Yellow 197
Basically anything from 100 pound to 10000 pound, its residential so depends how rich the clients are! Basically, every site differs, they have either ADSL, Coax or Fibre coming into their houses into a Smart panel. From the smartpanel their house is smart wired back to the smart panel. We installed alot of home theatres, CCTV, audio streaming such as Sonos so its gotta have wicked up keep, and its all usually controlled by iPad or over the network so must be very stable and able to roam around as the clients move around their houses.

The problem is if they have 2 WAP's in their house the iPad currently doesnt know to intelligently roam from AP to AP. We've had a few solutions but all around 2k upwards just wondering if their are any cheaper ways to do it, maybe by configuring standalone AP's and routers to bridge to each other to allow devices to roam.

3 tier systems so we can offer clients different styles of networking packages to choose from.

Rav4
I see.

There are so many products and they can range so much in price. It's ridiculous.

Here is what I suggest you look at > http://www.ubnt.com/unifi this is a great company, provide excellent products.

Their reseller in the UK I would recommend, http://www.4gon.co.uk/ubiquiti-m-97.html?gclid=CMPXke3m_bECFSsntAoduRcArg

Go onto Hard Forum, use the search function and have a read through the threads, very good info.

4gon will be able to help you out, let them know your requirements.

Another great company which is backed by Google is http://www.meraki.com/ however, they have a subscription based approach for their licensing.

:)

Hope this helps

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
The link I sent you will still be fine, the sort packages for people all over the world :)

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Why not just use Cisco AP's? Use them without a controller - or a controller if you have the dosh.