ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Making a fibreglass iPhone dock?

Alright, I've seen a couple of iPhone docks made from fibreglass and isopon on other forums and I like the look of it. Has anyone done anything similar to their Clio?

My basic plan would be to take the cup holder (if you can call them that) trim section out. Remove the ashtray and cigarette lighter. Having done that cut down the cigarette lighter surround to make it lower than the edge of the trim section. Where the ashtray was install an iPhone dock using fibreglass and ispoon. Also cover the cup holders over with fibreglass so it's flat (maybe with a concave for detritus). Once all that work is done sand it, prime, paint and lacquer then run a cable from the dock to the back of the head unit.

I know it's a lot of work but it'd kill two birds with one stone by installing a dock and also removing the naff cup holders.

Expect I'd have to carve a foam block into the shape of the cup holders to give the fibreglass something to mould to and give it the desired shape. When done correctly this could be a pretty unique and good looking mod!

I'll link a couple of the threads that gave me the idea and also because I doubt I've explained myself well enough :eek:

Any criticism or advice gladly received.

Accord:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32369

RSX:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=765079

why not get it up higher in that space above the clock which I never seem to use?? you can then use it as a sat nav aswell. I had thought about this, making a male piece that fits into the female form and has a stand attached. Aux and power would have to be thought about though...

Renault Clio 172
I thought about that but having it there permanently when I'm not using it as a sat nav would annoy me plus I'm certain I'd forget it and leave it on display if it was tucked down in the recess on top.

As for aux and power it's not too much of an issue for me since the usb connects to the head unit and charges the phone and plays the music. Have to make sure I don't change phone any time soon though!

Renault Clio 172
Then I'm buggered ha. I've thought about that, once it's all installed it shouldn't be too difficult (hopefully) to trim out the old dock and create another dock and attach that to the rest of the trim.

With luck