ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Major electrical problem, urgent help needed.

Twingo 133,172 Racer
Okay so the story is i have fitted pure motorsports de aircon kit as the instructions. while i was there i took the heater matrix out as its a race car.

Now i put all the car back together, fill up coolant etc and when i go to start the car the wiper is on and i cant turn it off, the imobiliser light is fast flashing on the dash and when i turn the key fully to start it clicks once and does nothing. i have checked the battery and tried a power pack starter on it but makes no difference.

What have i done? i have a trackday tuesday and doesnt look like im going to make it now :/

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Okay, I'm going to take a stab in the dark here.... It used to have digital heater controls yes and you've now removed it (Since then, wipers playing silly buggers and a 4hz flashing LED)?

Mick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yep, in that case then you have most likely killed the CanBus network but the good news is not permanently.

I'm pretty sure that the main electrical earth for data services runs via the climate control panel and by removing it you've killed the earth.

Do you have a decent digital multi-meter in your tool box?

Mick

Twingo 133,172 Racer
Ah okay, and yes i do have one. i still have the panel so i could plug this back in right?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That's one possible way to go yes but if you don't want it ("because race caaar") I can help you sort that... If you wanted?

Mick

Twingo 133,172 Racer
whats the way around it then? im guessing you have to make an earth somewhere else? seems strange some of the things renault do!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Not really as loads on vehicles running multi-wire CAN work this way but if you aren't used to it the concept can seem a little alien.

Easiest thing to do is put your DMM in to continuity mode. Put the negative/common line to a good bit of bodywork (to establish a good earth). Then put your probe (Fnarr Fnarr) in to the diagnostic socket on pin 4.

You should hear an audible "beep" confirming that this pin (common ground) is infact going to ground.

Now do the same on pin 5. This is the signal ground and I'm betting its not earthed. If not, simply "jump" pins 4 and 5 at the rear of the EODB socket and try starting it again.

I bet it runs ;)

Mick