ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mad idea - how much ?

Meg on pistonheads £6995
Rather than finding £10K for a Meg GT/RS etc. I've had a idea........

All I want is MUCH MORE performance but decent economy (50+) ?

- upgrade the brakes and suspension on the Clio (grooved/vented and coilovers)

- stick in a 1.9dci 130 (re-mapped to 150) or even a 2.0dCi (re-mapped to 190)

anyone wanna quote or estimate how much??

Meg on pistonheads £6995
^ ^ they would with a 2.0 dCi in a mark 2 cos very light :)

Clio 182 = 1100kg, 182 bhp, 148 lb/ft

Clio dCi 150 (re-mapped) = 1100kg, 190bhp, 318 lb/ft

a grand says it would do 50mpg EASILY and go like a 'kin rocket

p.s. no 'genuine' guesstimate or offer - I'd pay someone to do it in their garage if i had the confidence in what they'd done to their own car!

- upgrade the brakes and suspension on the Clio (grooved/vented and coilovers)

- stick in a 1.9dci 130 (re-mapped to 150) or even a 2.0dCi (re-mapped to 190)

anyone wanna quote or estimate how much??

Forget groved disk no need. stock brakes are fine. Suspension depends what you want you'd need harder springs for a bigger 1.9 engine realy anyway.

I looked inot this a lot I went along this thourght route.

1.9 dci (boring) might as well use the new 2.0 16V engine

2.0 dci is a usless engine realy plus box is week 400NM limit plus its heavy so migh as well 1.9 TDI it from a VAG

1.9 TDI hum you want a 6 speed box so need to cut the chassic and wel d it up on the nearside plus its the old engine so not as effcient

1.9 PD engine good same gearbox issue but at the end need to sort the hydrolic clutch (not to diffiuclt) plus is a bit heavy engine wise and realy would want (well I wold) do SVA it and hence pay the emmisions from that car as such (you can do it and get away with the old £35 road fund though)

Electrics arn't an issue realy just run the engine and car as such seperate and run the loom for the dneign to the dasboard for what you need. No problem there at all.

I ended up looking at th 1.5 106dci engine but again higher road fund (can get round that easy) its light and smaller but for the effort is it realy worth it.

2.2 engine should fit I measured up would be interesting realy same box issue as with all of 1.9 etc but its toque band great.

Price well its cusom work depends what setup you want to do could be done for £5k if you find a garage who wants to make a name/have a project best idea IMo would be to forget it or buy a crashed Clio and use that make it all up youreserlf mounts need making and the shafts (VAG is handy as the shafts are easy to do) then get some help with the wiring could be done for under £3k I recon and then remove it all and fit inot your car after you've got it all working.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
^ If you're prepared to spend 5k on an engine conversion, and you scoff at paying a bit higher tax - you don't have your priorities right :p

how would you get round the tax issue you have to tax it the insurence an tax put me off :(
Just send the detial to the DVLA saying engine CC change and they charge you the same tax as there no 1.9 Mk2 phase 2 diesel so there stuck as such.

For the 1.5 engine its even safer just tell them its a replacment and since they have a k9k on the books for the Mk2 phase 2 cars you get taxed at normla rates even though the 106 k9k is in the next band.