ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macbook Pro getting really hot

Yellow 197
My 13 inch MBP seems to be getting really hot lately dunno if a fan has gone on it or something? Its about 2 years old so no warranty and has bee used more or less everyday for the 2 years i've had it, is there anything I can do? Do Apple do services or anything?

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Take the bottom off and blast the air vents with some compressed air. Clean the dust out. That'd be what I'd look at first.

Yellow 197
Also seems to be running really slow! Any tips or tricks I can do?

I have clean my mac is there anything else, is there a way to perform a defrag?

Tav

Clio 197
Open activity monitor by going to the magnifying glass in the top right if your screen. Type in activity monitor. Open it. Look at CPU load and see if there is an application that's running it flat out or take a screen shot and post it here for me to look at.

Yellow 197
Will try all this when i'm home

I did take the bottom off but it wasnt that dusty at all really, didnt have compressed air but gave it a good blow, but like I say there was hardly any dust in there tbh

Yellow 197
Open activity monitor by going to the magnifying glass in the top right if your screen. Type in activity monitor. Open it. Look at CPU load and see if there is an application that's running it flat out or take a screen shot and post it here for me to look at.

Its saying idle % is 95%

Tav

Clio 197
That's about right...mine sits and bounces between 90-99% if I look at it and move the mouse with only this open.

If you want it looked at in person the you might have an Apple store near by you could take it to. Book an appointment at the Genius bar and they should have 15 mins or so to check it out. Anything more in depth and they'll hold onto it for the day normally.

Which city is nearest to you? Your profile doesn't have a location...

Only thing to bear in mind with MacBooks is a) They are metal normally so will feel hot as it the whole case acts like a giant heat sink b) it's not a laptop it's a portable. It's not designed to sit in a duvet, pillow or other squashy surface. It wants to be on a hard flat surface so air can circulate c) Like any other computer they will attract dust in the fans, getting these blown out with air will help d) Only other consideration really is the battery if it happens when its charging.