ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macbook and running XP

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Hi

I need a pc to run some windows based programs so I am going to use my Macbook , I think I need to use boot camp and a copy of XP.

Do I need to use windows antivirus as well ? or only if I go online with xp ?

Any other mac software you can recommend ?

Cheers

Gordini 182
Yeah you could use parallels 10 desktop, running windows xp and you need an anti-virus as its a virtual machine and still can get infected but won't affect the mac itself.

Hope this helps :)

1.2 Mk2 Clio P1
I use to use Parallels when I had my mac. Really really good piece of software, although a bit pricey.

A cheaper (free) alternative is to get Sun Virtual Box. Which is almost the same, but not as smooth in my experiences. Depends how much you're going to use it.

When I say "not as smooth" I found that accessing the Macs folders from inside the virtual box a real pain, although I admit, I haven't tried recently.

You could use bootcamp, but it's a bit of a pain to just soley run XP instead of using a virtual machine :)

1.2 Mk2 Clio P1
As far as Anti-Virus goes I would use Microsoft Security Essentials. Completely free and I've been using it on my PC for nearly 2 years now with no issues or viruses since!

Doesn't piss you off with constant pop-ups like some do and does pretty quick scans (atleast on my system)

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Depending on what operating system your Mc is, bootcamp won't work.

Im on Lion on my MBA and it doesn't support XP so I ended up using parallels. It's only £60 and works really well.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Thanks for the info guys I will look into them, I am running Leopard so I think it will run xp on boot camp.

I use avg on the kids pc so will try that or microsoft av only thing is I am going to use an old copy of xp and "spare" licence I have ;) so may stick with avg.

Cheers