ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M.o.t Fail - Only a bleeding sidelight - but no voltage at connector :-(

Clio 182 Titanium
Hi all,
Managed not to check the lights before I went to the m.o.t place. Even though I had the gumption to changed the rear shocks, both tie-rods, both washer bottle pumps and have the airbag/serv light turned off. Idiot.
So I did the check before I drove in, no drivers sidelight...
tried two different bulbs supplied by the m.o.t man. No joy... fook... so its the only thing the car has failed on.
Problem is I only get one day! to fix it and return for free partial re-test.
So where should I begin? I tried the multimeter in the bulb holder and no voltage at the sidelight connector with sidelights, main light or high beam on.
Maybe whip the light out, not that that's easy, bumper off etc. and check voltage at the headlight connector itself. Not that thats will work, then what? any ideas.
Cant imagine it works like the old golf of mine, wires go into one headlight then back into the car and across to the other headlight?
Can I just cut the affected sidelight + wire and crimp a new wire on. then piggyback that from the other side of the car, running a cable under the slam panel?
Looks like the earth for the sidelight bulb comes from the main beam bulb holder, wonder if that is no longer grounded. hmm..
I have 22hours to do this...arghhh:dapprove:

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Ever thought of checking a fuse?
You need to take the headlight out to check 15 min job.
I got a feeling you have 10 days before they should charge you.
It should say on the mot doc.
if Thats true the garage ain't worth its salt.

Clio 182 Titanium
A single sidelight has a fuse? enlighten me, where can I find said fuse? Ill be on it first thing in the morning...
The m.o.t says I have 1 day if I take the vehicle off the premises, 10 days if I leave the vehicle on site. I always used them as I had a friendly m/o/t man there, he has left now but still allows me to muse around under the ramps etc, which I like.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
wont be a fuse or front and rear side lamps work from the same fuse.

as you said take a feed front the other side for a temp fix to get it through the mot.

its correct lights are free retest if checked by end of the next working day(vosa rules).

the 10 day retest thing is up to the garage if they want to charge you some do some dont.

Clio 182 Titanium
Doubtful, already did this on my mk2 golf racecar with dubious electrics when the same happened to that a year or two ago..
however Ill slap in some L.e.d lights I just found in the drawer instead, should help and look better...
hopefully will get the m.o.t sorted as its expired..

Clio 182 Titanium
All sorted and m.o.t done. Easy one, took headlight out, checked voltage at connector and it had voltage. So Looked at the actual headlight connections, When fitting a new bumper few months ago, and refitting the lights, when i pushed the connector on, the sidelight metal pin had bent down and hence not engaged. Just bent it back and connected it up carefully this time, job done.
Changed to l.e.d sidelights too, much nicer and match the dip beam, but the full beam is crappy yellow light, must sort that!
Thanks for your input guys.
Oh and the fusebox had hardly any fuses in it, like 5 or 6? Where is the proper fuseboard? I'm used to a car having 20 fuses...

All sorted and m.o.t done. Easy one, took headlight out, checked voltage at connector and it had voltage. So Looked at the actual headlight connections, When fitting a new bumper few months ago, and refitting the lights, when i pushed the connector on, the sidelight metal pin had bent down and hence not engaged. Just bent it back and connected it up carefully this time, job done.
Changed to l.e.d sidelights too, much nicer and match the dip beam, but the full beam is crappy yellow light, must sort that!
Thanks for your input guys.
Oh and the fusebox had hardly any fuses in it, like 5 or 6? Where is the proper fuseboard? I'm used to a car having 20 fuses...

That's good to hear! Did you look at the right fusebox? Inside the car?