ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lumpy Idle

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Had this problem from day one in the Trophy but i have more or less just ignored it untill today.

On idle its rather lumpy and it is hunting ever so slightly.

I have changed the following items below with all brand new genuine renault parts and yet it has still not fixed the problem.

Full set of spark plugs
Full set of HT leads
Coil Pack
Lambda Probe
Full Service

Im maybe looking to change all the injectors to see if this sorts the problem out as there is nothing else i can think off, There is no warning lights on and the car drives fine and well.
Both belts have been done with renault timing tools so i doubt the timing is out.

Anyone shed any light on this ?

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
As far as I understood the F4R has a lumpy idle as "standard", i.e. it's completely normal???

Maybe i notice it more because of the polybush dogbone mount and the yozza

"Hunting" isn't the norm though

When i say hunting im prob taking a rough stab at the dark and its more lumpy, The RPM counter aint moving when it does it and driving is no problem aswell as taking off and stopping

172cup
Mine does this when cold always has... Heard it was the norm so happy to put up with it as it drives fine when warmed up. Mines been serviced perfectley since new so confident that its normal. if your not down on power and the engine isnt choking or stalling id just accept it unless it gets worse to the point you think theres something seriously wrong.

ph1 172
I have a Yozza and decat and it is very lumpy

Like you say the rev counter does not move. At worst when cold, and driving when cold it is so rough! Almost as if it misses!

Once warm it still has a lumpy idle but drives and revs fine etc.

Is this something similar to what you are experiencing?

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I have a Yozza and decat and it is very lumpy

Like you say the rev counter does not move. At worst when cold, and driving when cold it is so rough! Almost as if it misses!

Once warm it still has a lumpy idle but drives and revs fine etc.

Is this something similar to what you are experiencing?

The above is almost spot on as to what i have with mine but i do NOT have a de-cat and and i would not say its rough when cold or warm, Its fine apart from when sitting at lights on on idle its every so slightly lumpy as you say. It has been doing it from day one of owning the car i know its not anything i have done or a problem with the timing.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
They are quite lumpy so that's normal, I found using V Power helped make it less so. The remap I had helped as well as it raised the revs on idle.

ph1 172
Without actually hearing it, its hard to say. However, by the sounds of it I wouldn't be worried.

I know each car within reason is different so maybe mine is a little worst than yours.

V-power didn't make any difference for me. I always run it

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I run V-Power no matter what and Rhys yours is prob worse due to the de-cat pipe.

I have thought about putting BP Ultimate into the car to see whats better than V-Power.
I dont know what RON v-power or BP Ultimate is but i know its the 2 best fuels especially at the prices of them.

Mines exactly as you describe it, but I have a decat. I actually notice it more on v-power 98 ron whereas with tesco 99 you don't really notice it as much.

So am i better off using Tesco 99 Ron fuel than shell V-max

Not sure it'll improve the lumpy idle, but i've been using it recently and I guess its maybe more responsive, tbh there isnt much in it! Wouldn't worry about the idle though, mines horrid when cold, and even when warm its lumpy on tick over..

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Thats decent that i can start to try Tesco 99 Ron as that means i will have even more club card points.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Thats Now 3 cars on Tesco Fuel aswell as shopping also.

Club card points should go through the roof soone enough LOL