ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lumpy idle when cold but perfect when warm?

RS clio 172
it's a ph2 2002 clio 172 with 79k miles and full service history with cambelt done last 3 years ago.

On a cold engine start you can hear a slight squeally noise very second or two for a split second each time (maybe release bearing), garage said belts are all fine and aux belt looks in good nick as I asked for a checkup when I got the wheel bearing done last week.

When you keep the car at an idle speed say 30mph the revs will bump about and go up and down from time to time until the car has reached around 1/4 temp, anything past 1/4 temp to the normal 1/2 gauge then the car will run perfect and the squeal noise is not there any more OR very quiet.

What would this be caused by?

RS clio 172
The idle itself in neutral is fine, sometimes suffers from the odd bump about for a few seconds when in cold weather.

It's worse when actually driving every now and then it will be as if I keep pressing the accelerator in and out then all of a sudden when the temp reaches a certain bit it goes completely normal.

Originally I thought it may be clutch related as the noise on idle is the same as most videos online about the release bearing but it goes silent or very quiet when warm, would this do that or cause this issue?

Clio172.Seat leon fr
Mine is exactly the same it seems to reach a certain temp ( not very high ) then all is well. It has always done this from when I got the car a year ago.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Mines only very slightly noticeable. Very rarely get a stutter though, the car just doesn't feel 100% for a short while.

Clio 182
They're all the same, as long as it goes normal after a minute or two I wouldn't worry. Mine backfires and all when it's cold and I'm driving.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It "bumps" the idle as you say when moving to stop it stalling as the management knows the car is in motion but with little to no load but as the PAS pressure switch is making a demand it adds some numbers to the base idle target speed.

Very normal

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Get it mapped with an RS tuner, takes all this Shizz away and makes it much nicer on cold, worth it for that alone.