ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

lumpy erratic idle and cut out while driving

Focus RS + S3
last few weeks the idle has been lumpy on the clio (2003 1.2 16v) every now and again when cold, after the first 5 seconds of being lumpy it'll be fine, and it'll drive great, no issues at all,
Sunday i cleaned the throttle body out and it drove fine Sunday and to and from work Monday which is a 70 mile round trip

yesterday after work, it started fine and then cut out on the bypass at 60mph, restarted itself (i think) with the stop and flashing stop light. great, no other warning lights such as the coil light,

pulled over, turned car off and back on, drove 35 mile home not an issue, plugged it in to an OBD reader no codes.

started and drove fine then this morning but popped out at lunch with a really erratic idle.
car is on 129k+ miles (getting on a bit) battery is a month old, loads of fuel in it and as said the throttle body was cleaned up on weekend.

ive bought some spark plus at lunch so will try them as i haven't changed them since i've had the car for 2 years and done 40k miles in it (oops)
going to try cleaning the crank sensor also, but just looking is there anything else i need to check?

cheers

Focus RS + S3
Just a quick update, it cut out at 50/60 again on the dual carriageway
Got going again itself with flashing stop light
Pulled over, off and on, happy days
Drove another 30 miles fine

I dont know if its linked but the dual carriageway is half a mile from work, so car would still be cold when i get there, temperature appears fine so i dont thinknits a coolant temp sensor

Bloody thing