ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lumix - TZ10 vs TZ20

"Navy" N17 TWO
Thinking of getting myself a wee compact camera for "handiness" on holidays, nights out etc as I'll be abroad for Easter

More so - I seen these can take AMAZING video as I watched a clip of Snow Patrol in Dublin taken on a TZ10.
I was at the same concert myself on my birthday but the iPhone doesnt quite cut it for videos lol :nono:

Anyone have experience of both these models?
Trev

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Thinking of getting myself a wee compact camera for "handiness" on holidays, nights out etc as I'll be abroad for Easter

More so - I seen these can take AMAZING video as I watched a clip of Snow Patrol in Dublin taken on a TZ10.
I was at the same concert myself on my birthday but the iPhone doesnt quite cut it for videos lol :nono:

Anyone have experience of both these models?
Trev

I bought a TZ20 in December . haven't really used it much though to be honest . The pics are spot on and video is full 1080 which swayed it for me , especually after watching some video footage of gigs on youtube . Bought it really to take to gigs cos it's small enough to fit in your pocket .

Cupra
Work has the TZ20 and I have used it a couple of times for both video and stills. I wasn't blown away with the picture quality as there are visible jpg artefacts in most shots and noise handling at higher ISO is not great. I've only had to use it indoors so not an optimal environment. They probably fair much better outside.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Well for a point n shoot camera i read reviews on lots of cameras and the TZ20 seemed to come out tops . I don't any camera was the best at doing everything , there was faults found with them all . Plus i got £30 cashback from Panasonic and went through quidco , cost me £179 delivered from Jessops . I'm happy with it :D

Cupra
Re reading my post, it sounds a bit too negative. For a compact, it's just as good/ better than any others I have used. Great zoom range, nice to hold and quick to respond. I am just being fussy TBH, which is easy when it's not your own camera.

Clio 182
we bought a tz18. dad's got a tz10 which he's owned for a couple of years. great point and shoot, i'm no photographer but the ease of use and image quality on the tz10 was what sold the panasonic to us. like i say, we opted for the tz18 rather than the then new tz20 - essentially the same camera without the geotagging or touch screen. we've used it on nights out, holidays, festivals, around the house etc. video quality is excellent. massive optical zoom too. battery is good for near 7-800 photos and a couple of videos over an 8 day holiday.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Thanks all for sharing your views :)

Is the slow-motion on it the same as you can do with a Go-pro or is that all in the editing? :S

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
We looked at the Lumix's (TZ10&18) for a point and shoot for our holidays and after reading a lot of reviews we opted for the canon sx230 http://snapsort.com/cameras/Canon-SX230-HS

The low light was a bit of an issue with the Lumix from what we read (and from what the camera shop guy was telling us- he sold both and I trust his judgement) and the screen was a bit smaller.

Really good little compact and a cracking zoom.

We ended up getting it in a deal from Jessops with Bag, Memory card and a Gorilla torch for about £220 & £40 cash back.

Head to head here http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-SX230-HS-vs-Panasonic-TZ20

Last edited:
  "Navy" N17 TWO
Nicely - lots of info swaying me towards a TZ20

Anyone know what the slow motion clips are like on it?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Thank you for your input :)

I seen a slow-motion clip on here before that someone got on a beach but something tells me it was a Gopro, not 100%

Been using my mates Canon S100. Expensive bit of kit at £270 but it's superb for a compact! Only 5x zoom but impressive in low light and ISO noise is very well handled. Full manual controls too.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I think you should seriously consider the canon I linked before. You can pick them up for under £200 and the IQ is great. Light camera, good screen, great low light images and a very good zoom.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Ive got the tz6 and its superb. We use the tz10 in work for photos of the cars etc great camera

Been using my mates Canon S100. Expensive bit of kit at £270 but it's superb for a compact! Only 5x zoom but impressive in low light and ISO noise is very well handled. Full manual controls too.

At that price your touching the micro four thirds system which will handle low light a gazillion times better than a tiny compact sensor.

Gazillion times better?!!!! You have obviously not seen low light images from the S100! Entry level compact systems are better but not as much as you think!! The higher end are much better but the sensor inside the S100 is bigger than in standard compacts.

Well perhaps not a whole gazillion but certainty half ;)

Check out this link and select a m43 camera to compare against the Canon. Its very noticeably better from iso 400 onwards and 1600+ is just a joke for the little Canon but as I was purporting to its not a fair test and the two cameras should not even be mentioned in the same sentence when discussing high iso as the link very clearly demonstrates. Thats not to knock the little canon but its not comparing apples and apples.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons100/10

Still, can't grumble with a silver award! If your after a pockatble compact it should be considered!!

But yes a agree it is pricey! Just depends on what you want!

Saying that the GX1 looks nice!