ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering springs for my Cup?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I need to do something about my tractor, and as Sarah's being made redundant soon, spunking north of £700 on the full monty going down the coilover route isn't an option.

So, what springs are available that work with standard dampers?

Standard on road feel doesn't matter, I'd want them as track biased as possible?

Do the dampers wear out quicker from the harder springs? Does the damping actually work ok with them?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Apex are crap. Non-progressive, they're too stiff for the damper, gash. Eibach sportlines. I'm biased though. I'm selling some Apex, and still say they're crap!

Nippy white cup
I've got eibachs on mineMark...can't remember which ones but they are the lower of the two...not really made much difference visually but the rear end is much more stable imo

Chris

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
rumour has it prolines for go, sportlines for show. for a track sportlines might be better but i dont have first hand experience so i will let someone who has/had them comment:)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Had both. Pro's are better for road, sports for track. Apex for the bin (had them too).

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
OK, Eibach Sportlines it seems to be then.

One size fits all, or are there options on ride height, spring rate etc.?

I should have made it clear I'm not wanting to do this for looks, so how much it lowers it by, or how it will sit afterwards is irrelevant.

What I need to minimise is the body roll I get - with near 120kgs taken out it sits really high...throw in some sticky track tyres and roll during cornering is almost at comedy 2CV levels.

Do the sportlines change the natural balance Fred? If so, which way?

Focus RS mk1
with the amount of weight you have got rid of the lowering springs will make it slightly lower but it will still sit very high as the lowering springs are still designed with the car at standard weight.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
with the amount of weight you have got rid of the lowering springs will make it slightly lower but it will still sit very high as the lowering springs are still designed with the car at standard weight.

I've just been looking at pics...is getting it lower that important to me, if it's resisting roll from the springs anyway? Is a shorter version of the sportline available? Can I chop some off a la Overhaulin'?

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
Apex, arn't as bad as people say. I had mine fitted 2 days ago, not settled yet but it looks much better and the ride feels no diffrent than my std cup springs did!

Obviously they are stiffer on fast country roads but not really harsh. Isn't your car used as a toy? you wont need comfort then anyway;)

Std
newcuppics032.jpg

Apex 40mm
newcuppics039.jpg

Kev

Focus RS mk1
I've just been looking at pics...is getting it lower that important to me, if it's resisting roll from the springs anyway? Is a shorter version of the sportline available? Can I chop some off a la Overhaulin'?

not sure if there is a shorter spring available, with less weight the springs will react differently so you may find that there could still be body roll there, not as much as original springs but still an amount there. could you not find maybe a second hand set of coilies?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Apex, arn't as bad as people say. I had mine fitted 2 days ago, not settled yet but it looks much better and the ride feels no diffrent than my std cup springs did!

Obviously they are stiffer on fast country roads but not really harsh. Isn't your car used as a toy? you wont need comfort then anyway;)
Not true in my experience, and plenty of others on here. The ride is shocking, just too stiff for the dampers.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
not sure if there is a shorter spring available, with less weight the springs will react differently so you may find that there could still be body roll there, not as much as original springs but still an amount there. could you not find maybe a second hand set of coilies?
Mark, I know places like powerstation get custom springs from eibach, maybe someone like that could order you some.

Suzuki Swift Sport
I had apex on my 172, thought they were horrendous, put Eibachs on and it completely transformed the car (prokit).