ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering spring help

rsdan

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph2 182
Hi hoping some body can give me some advise about my springs . Yesterday I was doing some work on my car and noticed the rear springs were very lose, infact you could just pull them out, so I would like to know if this is normal for lowering springs? Would it be okay if I was to by some new -40mm springs or is it just going to do the same. Also should I have any rubber/ spring cups or somthing like that or am I missing them as well?
EB98F7D5-1E15-4723-B189-9D3F4A94A506_zpsnlccilpp.jpg

This is how low it is on 15s if this helps
8B4689EA-98BC-4877-90FE-E4ED83CC57E5_zpsxg2vvlyr.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it's supposed to have rubber spring seats which A) reduce wear & noise by eliminating metal on metal contact and B) stop the spring falling out (lowering springs still aren't the most secure thing you've ever seen even with the rubber spring seats)

rsdan

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph2 182
Ah fair enough do u know where I can get some spring seats from then or a picture so I know what in looking for please, as I think in going to try that then get some longer springs if the carats don't help

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Rubber seats are essentials but lowering springs significantly degrade the ride quality if you don't swap the shocks for lower ones. i wouldn't run lower springs without lower shocks on the tears as they aren't bolted in place like the front springs.

rsdan

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph2 182
Rubber seats are essentials but lowering springs significantly degrade the ride quality if you don't swap the shocks for lower ones. i wouldn't run lower springs without lower shocks on the tears as they aren't bolted in place like the front springs.
Okay yes thanks , I'm trying to find some of the rubber seats now and I think the shocks are also upgraded as they are bright yellow just trying to sort out whatever it is that the previous owner has done aha

rsdan

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph2 182
Okay then I manages to find some rubber spring seats off eBay so brought then and there now fitted , how ever after fitting them I noticed when the car is lowered back off the jack the spring is very compressed,- is this because my springs are old and weak, -incorrect for my model clio or are my shocks nakered as well ,
38412AF7-D19B-46A2-B89D-479FCC216471_zpsokqwlnz0.jpg

6C59C941-C757-43BC-A53D-B6C834A0172C_zpsivgitoo3.jpg

9029DE4B-5D23-42BB-BED7-79072D956EEE_zps5sv8bjgi.jpg

your help and and advise would be much apriciates thanks .

rsdan

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph2 182
Remove them, check for leaks, push them in and check the resistance and that they return.. If they do they're ok..

If not they're fcked...
Okay cheers will try that when I get a chance as I'm currently moving house , but if I do need to replace them can I get shorter ones to suite lowering springs

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Okay cheers will try that when I get a chance as I'm currently moving house , but if I do need to replace them can I get shorter ones to suite lowering springs

Id like to think any after market shocks allow a shorter travel, but without having it written in a description I wouldn't know.. I'm been driving lower cars for over 10 years and at 30mm or so never had a problem..