ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Low priced, Decent 172 tyres

I am running Hankook Evo V12s on my dynamique rears and budgets on my fronts.

Should be getting a set of 16" 172 alloys on the week, Planning on a refurb in Anthracite..

Anyway. 2 tyres are legal and have good tread and are going on the front.. I am looking for a good pair of tyres for the rear.

195/55/16.. right?

Is there some good cheap tyres anyone can reccomend?, Have had a quick look on Camskill..

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
Std Size is 195/45/16.

Which ones are debatable, everyone will have a different opinion, I have Toyo Proxes T1-R's on mine, they're relatively cheap and perform more then sufficiently.

Golf MK6 GT TDI
I've got the Toyo T1-R's on mine and can also recommend them. Superb for the money.

25278_359405491795_635536795_4946831_457841_n.jpg

Last edited:
  328, MK1 Clio 1.4
I get T1-R's on all my cars TBH, I like them, and they are a good balance between price and performance.

They do fine in the wet.

RB 182
I had the Khumos on my Impreza, and will be putting them on the 172 when I get the new wheels, very under rated IMHO.

Looks like a draw between the TR1's and the Khumos.

For some reason i always look at the tread pattern and on the khumos, It just looks a bit better to me.. Think i will give those a go..

Also open to any other suggestions?

Read again, I have V12s on my non sport alloys, Im getting 172 alloys this week.. Re-furbing then need some 195 45 16 tyres to go on.

Id get some hankook v12s for the 172 tyres but havent looked hard enough.. havent found any yet.

T1Rs are more than enough on a 1.2. I had Kumho KH11s (different from the link you posted) on my 1.2 at one point and they were very good in the dry, just pants in the wet.

RB 182
As previously said, and I know it's "each to their own" and on totally different cars, but I had all sorts on the Impreza, the T1-Rs understeered like a b**ch, and could rather quickly become oversteer.....as soon as I had the Khumo KU31s on it, pretty much got rid of understeer, and had to work it to get oversteer. That had 307bhp and 299lb/ft torque to play with too.

Hence why I won't put the Toyos on the 172, it has cheap crap on atm, and understeers like there's no tomorrow.

Khumos, you won't be disappointed. ;)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
If you're getting Toyo T1-R's just be ver(rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)y careful in the wet. Personally I think they are a shat tyre. How much Pirelli P Zero Nero's? I think they are a much better all weather tyre. Used to cost me about £50 fitted and balanced.

Golf GT TDI
If you're getting Toyo T1-R's just be ver(rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)y careful in the wet. Personally I think they are a shat tyre. How much Pirelli P Zero Nero's? I think they are a much better all weather tyre. Used to cost me about £50 fitted and balanced.

couldnt agree more, dont rate t1rs but have the P Zero Neros and they are great

PH2 172
I got the toyo TR-1s on mine got them from camskill for £43 a tyre worked out about £199.96 for 4 tyres including the postage was next day deliver to :D

Golf GTD Mk7
don't scrimp on tyres imo. PE2's is the way to go for all conditions and they will last a good 20K depending on the driving.

On a 1.2 yes the high end tyres can be a bit of an over kill..

Im going for The Khumos i think, Have read a lot about TR1s being s**t in the wet.

With a non sport im not driving round a break neck speeds but i wouldnt like to be coming round corners in wets almost sliding out on budgets like i used to.

Will have a look into the others suggested as well.

I'd say the Kumhos are going to be a lot worse in the wet than the T1Rs if that's what you're worried about, mine certainly were.