ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Low on Oil!!!!

RB 182 cup,astra sri
Hi there,

Just checking my oil level tonight for the first time in ages and its sitting below the minimum point!

It has been a while since i checked the oil and it was serviced in March. Since then i have probably done about 3k miles. Assuming the place it was serviced put the right amount of oil in, any ideas where the oil could be going? No visible leaks on driveway. I do have a little oil seeping through the bolts of the rocker cover but not a lot. I have noticed the tailpipes are a little dark but never notice the fumes being smokey on hard acceleration.

Should i be worried?!?

RB 182 cup,astra sri
I'd be worried about how long it's been below minimum, and get some more in there asap.

What kind of damage could i have done by running it with low oil? Very worst case its done 3k miles with low oil, if it has been like that since service, which i doubt!

"Navy" N17 TWO
I'm not being funny/cheeky but have YOU checked the oil (on the dipstick*) since the service in March?

*10 mins after letting her cool on level ground :)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
And left the car without the engine running for atleast 10 mins?

RB 182 cup,astra sri
I'm not being funny/cheeky but have YOU checked the oil (on the dipstick*) since the service in March?

*10 mins after letting her cool on level ground :)

Thats what i am saying, i havent checked it for a while. I just checked the dipstick tonight there and its low.

Lionel Richie
you should check it every 2 weeks without fail regardless of what car it is or how old it is, 75% of motorists keep me in work LOL

RB 182 cup,astra sri
Right so its a given that i need to get the oil topped up.

Should i be worried that i have done some damage? Do i need to get it checked out to make sure i havent damaged anything?

And, where could the oil be lost to?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Have you left the car for 10 mins with the engine off before checking?

Black 172
Just top it up and stop worrying, you won't have damaged it as the oil level showed on the dipstick albeit below the minimum. Its when the dipstick is completely DRY and there's so little oil that oil pressure can't be maintained, and the oil light comes on, that's when you've got a real problem. You've caught it in time. Check it regularly from now on.

RB 182 cup,astra sri
Just top it up and stop worrying, you won't have damaged it as the oil level showed on the dipstick albeit below the minimum. Its when the dipstick is completely DRY and there's so little oil that oil pressure can't be maintained, and the oil light comes on, that's when you've got a real problem. You've caught it in time. Check it regularly from now on.

Out of interest, what would happen if it were to get to that point where oil pressure couldnt be maintained? So he oil light comes on to warn you anyway, i.e. the oil can light?

HBT 172 Cup
You will hear the engine get extremely rattly in a matter of about 2 - 3 seconds. Damage is being done at this point.

Ive done it 3 times on F7/F4 engines and luckily although the light came on i managed to kill the engine pretty sharpish, the faults remedied and refilled with oil and there was no extra noise or loss in oil pressure.

Just keep an eye on the level

"Navy" N17 TWO
If you're worried do an oil-change and mark somewhere in the bay what mileage the change was done :)