ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loud clunk -always good!

Alibi Blue Clio 197
When accelerating hard in either 1st / 2nd or 3rd I have a brief loud clunk followed by a slight drone if I'm cornering in my Phase 2 172 non cup, which I'm assuming is a combination of engine mounts/ dog bone mounts. I'm aware of where the top drivers side engine mount is and have no issues with that, and also the dog bone mount but where are the others, or are there others??

"Navy" N17 TWO
One under the battery too

Could be a number of things doing what you describe though

"Navy" N17 TWO
Anything betwwen wheel nuts needing tightened, mounts, bushes, play in top mounts, exhaust hitting something, bearing maybe, or driveshaft worst case scenario
- I know mine needed done (and top engine mount) when i got my car it was knocking in low gears

But check everything, from the cheapest/easiest to eliminate first lol :)

Alibi Blue Clio 197
Completely new suspension last June, the lot including bearings top mounts e.t.c. New shafts too ( spent a flippin fortune) but the noise sounds like either manifold knocking on something, subframe maybe, but only does it under harsh acceleration or nearing the top of the rev range, which makes me think some kind of engine mount. Just had a new auxiliiary belt kit fitted but not sure if you could link the two together?

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Dont drop the boxs when you undo the gearbox mount they can drop down as they aren't captive and can be a pain to find once lost. Powerflexing the dogbone mount works wonders

Alibi Blue Clio 197
Just ordered new drivers side top mount and the gearbox mount under the battery. Also bought Powerflex bush kit for the Dogbone. Hopefully should be a combination of those as I cannot see anything else obvious. Hell of a clunk though and theres a deffinite drone as the revs rise as if something is coming into contact as the torque moves the engine.
Is the mount under the battery an easy change or a pain?

Upper gearbox mount is in theory dead easy, unbolt the main nut in the middle whilst the sump is supported with a block of wood and a a jack then also unbolt the 2 nuts either side, however once the 2 nuts are off the bolts are free to drop down which obviously isnt good. I had to squeeze my hand under the mount tray and tape the bolts in place. otherwise they would fall away and create a much bigger job.

Also once the middle stud has its nut removed it may need a clout from a hammer.

After reading your first post if you get a clunk clunk clunk thats probably the dogbone.

I polybushed my dogbone and replaced the upper gearbox mount and it improved things.

Alibi Blue Clio 197
Great cheers for that. I am assuming that the dogbone has to have the large 'metal fillet' removed that goes around the larger hole, otherwise they wont go in?

Its been a while since I did mine, but yeah the larger hole needs the inner part including the metal skin bashing out, same for the smaller part I think.

If you search there's a guide somewhere I think but its fairly straight forward, just need a vice and a hammer.

Alibi Blue Clio 197
Brilliant, collected the Powerflex dogbone bushes from Demon Tweeks on Friday and been back today to swop it for the correct bushes!! They are crap over there they really are. Also waiting for the upper drivers side mount and the gearbox mount. Once fitted I'll report back..............

Clio 172 cup
Ive got a similar noise, after doing some research it sounds like it could be the manifold hitting the subframe!

Alibi Blue Clio 197
Well sorted now. Had the auxillary belt and tensioners done week after Christmas and funnily enough the noise has been since then. New parts arrived, Powerflex Dogbone bushes fitted and so onto this

Anyone see whats missing?? Original one too going by the date. A conversation has been had with the garage that put belt on!!!

1.jpg

Old one Donald Ducked when stripped...

2.jpg

And the bottom of it....

3.jpg

New one gong in...

4.jpg

Tightened up..

5.jpg

Gearbox mount done also and all now 100% with no clunking at all and car feeling very tight. Thanks for the help folks.

Last edited:
  Alibi Blue Clio 197
The U shaped metal and rubber spacer that sits between the mount and the engine. No wonder it was moving, but glad I replaced as it's all tight as a drum again now.

Clio 172 cup
Can you send me the links where you ordered all the parts from? Got the same problem with mine