ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lost All Coolant...

BG 182
Yesterday the bottle was at max, just driving home and noticed a bit of Steam/Smoke. Checked under bonnet and coolant level was on minimum mark. Looked under car and on the passenger side undertray is covered in liquid. I'v refilled to max and cant see any leaks at moment but its dark and i have just a torch. The leak appears to be coming from underneath the radiator on the right hand side, could this be a big job?? Any advice plz Friends...

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
best off taking to a garage and getting them to leak test it, could prob be water hose split, radiator leaking worst case would be waterpump

Focus RS mk1
i rekon its the same problem i had and a few others on here, the radiator fan shroud warps with heat, this then comes into contact with the rad, over time it rubs through a couple of the veins on the rad on the passenger side. have a look with the torch and see if the fan shroud is touching rad you may also see it coming out if you fill it up and run the engine up to temp obviously making sure it doesnt drop low and overheat.

BG 182
i rekon its the same problem i had and a few others on here, the radiator fan shroud warps with heat, this then comes into contact with the rad, over time it rubs through a couple of the veins on the rad on the passenger side. have a look with the torch and see if the fan shroud is touching rad you may also see it coming out if you fill it up and run the engine up to temp obviously making sure it doesnt drop low and overheat.

How much was this to Fix mate??

audi a6 3.0tdi
My ph1 had a tiny hole in the main coolant pipe and the coolant used to spirt out under pressure. you couldn't find it when the engine was not running.

Lots of Alfas
Check where the bottom rad hose connects as the bit on the rad the hose connects to is poorly designed.

BG 182
Check where the bottom rad hose connects as the bit on the rad the hose connects to is poorly designed.

The Fan isnt toucing the Rad and doesnt seem warped if i spin it slowly. It looks like the pipe that leaves the lower right of the Rad is covered in liquid, if you follow that pipe up to where it spits into two its dry....

Is this an easy fix Friends if this is the problem??

Focus RS mk1
no not the actual fan touching the rad but the plastic surround that holds the fan that is bolted to the rad, the edges can warp causing it to rub through the rad, it may be the pipe thats leaking but if the rad is leaking on that side above the pipe and running down onto it then it may not be the pipe

BG 182
no not the actual fan touching the rad but the plastic surround that holds the fan that is bolted to the rad, the edges can warp causing it to rub through the rad, it may be the pipe thats leaking but if the rad is leaking on that side above the pipe and running down onto it then it may not be the pipe

How much did you pay to get this sorted on your 172??

Focus RS mk1
Image0038.jpg

i braved the cold to get you this pic lol, check the area wher the rad is just visible. i got a new rad from renault on an exchange basis which was £120. if i would have had more time i would have sent it to a rad place by me that can repair them it would have been cheaper but i couldnt afford to have my car off the road and needed it fixing same day. i fitted it myself

BG 182
^^ Appreciate that mate, will have a look in morning. Just hope it is the lower pipe as i am no mechanic and will have to pay Renault to fit it aswell, god knows how many hours labour they'll charge for that...:dapprove:

BG 182
mine done this and it turned out to be the water pump dont ask how much it was to fix

If it was the Water Pump i would imagine the Temperature Dial would just keep going all the way up as no water would be passing through the system, the needle stays dead on centre.

I think it is as said the Fan Shroud as cut through the Rad on the Right, the problem is paying to get it confirmed and then fixed, rather than just knowing what it is and paying to get it fixed...

182 ff
If it was the Water Pump i would imagine the Temperature Dial would just keep going all the way up as no water would be passing through the system, the needle stays dead on centre.

I think it is as said the Fan Shroud as cut through the Rad on the Right, the problem is paying to get it confirmed and then fixed, rather than just knowing what it is and paying to get it fixed...

yes mate your correct that whats did happen cost me a bomb, hope its what you think it is
let us know how you get on

BG 182
Image0038.jpg

i braved the cold to get you this pic lol, check the area wher the rad is just visible. i got a new rad from renault on an exchange basis which was £120. if i would have had more time i would have sent it to a rad place by me that can repair them it would have been cheaper but i couldnt afford to have my car off the road and needed it fixing same day. i fitted it myself

Correct Mate, the fan housing has cut into the Rad, £295 to have new Rad bought and fitted at Renault. Im thinking asking Renault to put a couple of washers behind the Fan Housing to pull it away from the new Rad, or i would imagine its going to happen again....

Focus RS mk1
Correct Mate, the fan housing has cut into the Rad, £295 to have new Rad bought and fitted at Renault. Im thinking asking Renault to put a couple of washers behind the Fan Housing to pull it away from the new Rad, or i would imagine its going to happen again....

when i did mine i cut away at the plastic at leat 5mm from each side and did what you have suggested, i put 2 washers behind the surround to create a larger gap to stop this happening in the future, glad its getting sorted dude

BG 182
Update, new Rad Fitted now, some pics so you can see what happened, not the best but you get the jist. There are 2 tiny little homes cut through the Veins of the Rad caused by the Fan housing. New Rad has been put on washers so it Wont happen again...

And the Bill...

RS RIP
That rad still looks in good state (except ofcours the leakage)

Looks like a fine example of design-fail . Interesting read this ! Glad you got it sorted