ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loss of power and braking efficiency?

Phase 2 Iceberg 172
The orange light came on my dashboard today whilst on the motorway(the one with orange box and wiggly line in the middle) and there was a sudden loss of power and braking efficiency. A few minutes before this happened I think I heard a loud pop/bang but wasnt sure if it was the car?
The car idles fine and engine itself sounds fine and smooth.
No idea what it could be but the revs are not limited as it still revs pass 4k. Having Mike at Rentech look at it when he gets a chance but in the mean time does anybody have an idea what it could be?

p.s I barely had enough tools just to remove the engine cover so wont be able to do much investigating as im currently living away from home.

Phase 2 Iceberg 172
Just went back out for a drive after its cooled down a bit and all seems fine now...very strange indeed

On my car there was a fair bit corrosion staring on the brake servo. I have dealt with it, but if it had of been left it would surely have ended up as a hole.

I would take a look at yours (under the driver side arch liner) as it sounds like you may have a leak in that area.

Phase 2 Iceberg 172
Servo is fine. What I meant was as soon as the warning light came on the car felt down on power, slow to respond and the braking felt spongey.

The warning light has since gone off and mike@rentech couldnt find anything wrong. Its been fine since so im just going to keep an eye on it for now.

In that case it sounds like a sticking electro valve, possibly in the crankcase recirculation system or the fuel vapour recovery system. It may be sticking open occasionally and allowing air to be drawn into the inlet. That will affect the servo vacuum and make the car go into limp mode.