ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

losing out after being hit ?

RenaultSport clio 182 mk2
My daughters car was reversed into by another car and we have the other drivers details.
She is 18 and on her first year of insurance.
If we make a claim against the other driver will she will lose her no claims bonus and will her
insurance go up on next renewal?
we will also have to pay the excess which i guess is recoverable.
Our first estimate is £800 for rear wing damage although we could easily live with the damage
as it is her first car and not too noticable .
It would make more sense if the other driver would settle for a non claim and pay us £200 -£300
but why would she as the it does not seem she would be losing out even though she hit us and
we are both insured. It looks like we are the losers ?
Any thoughts anybody ?

clio 182 trophy
If the person reversed into your daughters car then their policy will sought the damage out. Happened to me. Has she refused a settlement out of insurance?

Hi, assuming she still admits responsibility i know her insurance will pay,but our
premium will be affected as it asks on next renewal if you made a claim
whether your fault or not.

have not contacted the other party yet but why would they settle( pay me £200- £300) as they do
not appear to be losing out if they have protected no claims ?

clio 182 trophy
Hi, assuming she still admits responsibility i know her insurance will pay,but our
premium will be affected as it asks on next renewal if you made a claim
whether your fault or not.

have not contacted the other party yet but why would they settle( pay me £200- £300) as they do
not appear to be losing out if they have protected no claims ?

Protected no claims or not, the premium will still go up. Guarantee it. Plus excess will have to be paid. I am no expert though so await a better, more clued up response. cheers.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
You don't pay excess if you're claiming off someone else.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Shop around and the insurance shouldn't go up. Admiral came away with some s**t that if you get crashed into, you're more likely to be the guilty party the next time. That's plenty.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Danny has hit the nail on the head.

Your insurance will go up with that insurer next year if you claim. Get the lady to either admit liability to her insurance or pay you privately.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
So lets be clear..

If the Person who hit the OP's daughter accepts Liability and said persons insurance has to pay OP's daughters repair bill..

Will The OP's Daughter have to pay anything and will her insurance go up the following year?

She wont pay anything, insurance will likely go up for being involved in an accident as you have to declare accidents in the last 5 years and it'll all count towards a higher premium, even with a non-fault. Statistics show (so they say), you're more likely to have another accident within 3 years after having an accident. Probably just an excuse to charge you more..

As usual, the only winners are both insurance companies as both our
premiums will increase'

Best if i settle privately with a fixed sum from the guilty party.

Nobody wins but nobody loses.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
well it all depends on how much yours will go up.

if it needs £800 to repair it get them to pay it through insurance. Better to go up £50 on premium your end than leave the car with damage.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
When I had my accident it took a year and two months for the insurance to finally decide it wasn't my fault. Up until then I had to pay for it as a fault claim. Which meant I had to fork out the excess to repair my car.

I'm still waiting for that excess to be refunded.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
I had a non fault accident earlier this year - some dopey bint rolled into me and a student at a roundabout. I was quite happy to settle outside the insurance - estimated repair cost £100... she wanted to go through the insurance. My renewal went up over £300! So despite it not being my fault or involving my insurance at all my renewal was clearly affected. So I'm afraid fault or non fault your daughters insurance will be affected.
Luckily good old Adrian Flux quoted me happy :)

DB.

BMW 440i
I had a car do this to me when I was 17.

Their fault, I claimed on their insurance and had £1500 worth of damage repaired. Despite me not being at fault, my premium was £100 higher had this event not happened, but that £100 difference was far more worthily spent than paying to fix the car.

Claim on their insurance.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
From my experience of a couple of times that others have been at fault and crashed into me I would say dont go through your insurance, go to a claims recovery agent and get them to sort it all for your daughter via the 3rd party insurer, totally hassle free and then when you get asked "have you made a claim" the answer is no so it will have no effect on your premium at all.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
From my experience of a couple of times that others have been at fault and crashed into me I would say dont go through your insurance, go to a claims recovery agent and get them to sort it all for your daughter via the 3rd party insurer, totally hassle free and then when you get asked "have you made a claim" the answer is no so it will have no effect on your premium at all.
The wording of the question is key there chip, there are several ways of wording it... "have you been involved in any accident regardless of fault in the last 5 years" "any claims fault or non fault in the last 5 years? " plus the 3rd party will havr your name and address and it all gets logged on a system these days, its too risky not to declare it as a non fault or else you could be invalidating your insurance if they find out about it.

Black 172
If your daughter claims from her own policy, then her insurer need to pursue the other insurance for their costs - this is where delays and excess come into it. Just because its not her fault, doesn't mean she doesn't have to pay an excess. Most insurers however will waive it if they get an admission of liability from the other insurer. Until this recovery is made the claim is considered at fault to a new insurer at renewal, and no claims bonus is reduced.

If she makes a claim via the other parties insurer she should notify her own insurer for information purposes only.

Some insurers do load premiums for non-fault claims (Admiral group) plenty of others do not.

Monaco - 172
Shop around and the insurance shouldn't go up. Admiral came away with some s**t that if you get crashed into, you're more likely to be the guilty party the next time. That's plenty.

I had a smash which was my fault when I was about 18-19 where I wrote off a focus from behind (my clio only suffered a cracked plate) and my insurance went up to like 2-3k TPFT. I changed insurers and got it down to like £600-700, so it shouldn't be to bad - just means you need to change insurers.

As for Admiral - I called them today to update my policy for my new sportline/cup damper setup - I was amazed at receiving the following question of:

"How much BHP has this increased your car by?"

Think i'll change insurers as that really doesn't fulfill me with confidence.

BG 182
i was with admiral, and got annoyed because they said there would just be a £20 admin fee when I said I was planning on changing my suspension. so happily I paid the £20 and got the suspension fitted then a couple of weeks later was my renewal when they dropped the bombshell that because my car was modified my premium was going to increase by £200