ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Losing 2 litres of oil in 2 months!

Clio 182
Hi guys,

Done a search on oil leaks and it seems they are pretty common from the top end around the cam cover.

However, I topped mine up to max 2 months ago and it's down to min now (according to handbook, that's 2 litres). Does that sound like too much for this typical top end leak?

I've not looked in detail yet to find where it's coming from, but it's dripping from the bottom, around the gearbox. In fact I get two patches on the ground, one black engine oil and a few inches away, cleaner gear oil!

I've got some stuff to put in with the gearbox oil, to hopefully slow that leak, but a little worried by the engine leak. I know the cambelt was done at the last service (before I had the car), does that upset anything?!

320d
I'd put some in if I where you. Quickly. My ph1 uses a little bit of oil. I just top it up and its fine.

2 Litres is a lot though.

It's a litre from max to min line isn't it?

Thats what i read too.

Hi guys,

Done a search on oil leaks and it seems they are pretty common from the top end around the cam cover.

However, I topped mine up to max 2 months ago and it's down to min now (according to handbook, that's 2 litres). Does that sound like too much for this typical top end leak?

I've not looked in detail yet to find where it's coming from, but it's dripping from the bottom, around the gearbox. In fact I get two patches on the ground, one black engine oil and a few inches away, cleaner gear oil!

I've got some stuff to put in with the gearbox oil, to hopefully slow that leak, but a little worried by the engine leak. I know the cambelt was done at the last service (before I had the car), does that upset anything?!

If its leaking from the bottom end of engine, could it not be the sump gasket that weeping/leaking ?

And as for the gearbox leaking ?

Is it drip drip leaking ?

Or just a film on the boxcasing ?

As i heard that the 1*2 gearboxes are prone to leaking/weeping oil where the selector rod from the gearstick goes into the box.

It may be an idea to remove the gearbox fill plug and check the oil level as the gearboxes aren't the best when low.

Coupe/Defender V8
My Phase 1 never used to eat oil till I had the 428s put in. Now I have to top it up every so often..but 2 litres is A LOT in that time

a thirsty one
when i used 5-40 and 10-40 i never used any oil, now im using a 0-40 i do use a bit what weight are you using and sometimes giving it a bit of stick in the colder time of year i think can burn a bit more up than when warm

330i. E30 Touring.
Cam seals?

If fitted wrong, they piss out oil.

I reckon they've put them on the wrong way round.

Clio 182
Thanks for replies guys, I will investigate this weekend by cleaning it all down with gunk.

I thought min to max would have been 1L too (was on every other car I had), but in the renault sport handbook it says "for information purposes, the capacity between the minimum and maximum reading on dipstick is approximately 2 litres).

Topped up today with a fresh litre anyway.

Topped up gearbox not long ago, hoping that will be solved by drain and refill including Wynn's stopleak!

Guess it might be worth a compression test too...

Black Gold Trophy
That is a bloody lot! Definitely get it checked out! I've done approx 20k since owning my 182 and I can safely say I've never had to top up the oil, I do oil changes every 4k but it uses none inbetween!