ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loose CV Boot - 182

browno

ClioSport Club Member
Decided to give the 182 a good detailing today, as it's been feeling neglected lately. As I was cleaning the driver's side front alloy, I noticed that there was a load of gunk on the brush and decided that it might need further investigation...

Jacked it up and took a look under to discover that the CV (driveshaft) boot clip has slipped off, allowing the boot to spread it's grease all over the wishbone and alloy, making a right old mess.

I guess I'll now need to call the stealer in the morning and get it sorted (assuming they'll do this under warranty - it does look as though the clip simply hasn't been pulled tight enough...) - which will no doubt mean several visits... Just what I don't need...

Anyone else had the same problem?

182 Full Fatt!
Mine burst, with the same result. I had a friends garage put a new boot on, and it needed a new ball joint as the old one had seized in place!
Wasn't expensive.

Yep warently jobbie.

Easy to fix if the old clips there they can just replace it.

It a common problem.

browno

ClioSport Club Member
If all they'll do is shove the clip back over, then I'll do it myself! I would have hoped they'd strip it down and clean/regrease before refitting it - there could be all kinds of crap in there!!!

It's A Reno
This happened to mine under warranty.
I went to the dealer in Burton and laid it on that I didn't know how long it had been like that for, about grit getting in and CV running without grease.
They fitted a complete new driveshaft.:)

If all they'll do is shove the clip back over, then I'll do it myself! I would have hoped they'd strip it down and clean/regrease before refitting it - there could be all kinds of crap in there!!!

O ye they will clean it etc I mean there nothing else they need to do.

browno

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Edde & Marby - will get it booked in tomorrow then (will save me scrabbling about on the drive doing it...) I might well take it down to Burton too - see if they're any better than Derby...(who aren't terrible, just very inconsistent service - fine one time, hopeless the next...)

It's A Reno
My experience of Sunwins in Derby is really not good.
Hopeless+++++ all the time.

I've been to Sutton Park Reno at burton a few times with warranty work and they've been really good.
They actually seem to give a sh*t.
As I mentioned, got a new driveshaft, and new brake discs allround at it's 2yr service.
Made me pay for the pads tho.:(

browno

ClioSport Club Member
Well - just phoned Derby to try and get it booked in, to get the response that they won't do it under warranty as it's an adjustment of a service item!!! Unbelievable.

Off to ring Burton now...

browno

ClioSport Club Member
Just spoken to Burton - totally different attitude to Derby.
They've booked it in, and offered me a courtesy car without any prompting (rather than the usual, you can have one... in a month's time).

Thanks for the recommendation - I certainly know who I'll be using in the future (assuming the service next week lives up to the standard set so far...)

It's A Reno
I never found my clip, I assumed it had snapped :eek:

You should do well at Burton, always done the biz for me.
The guy I dealt with was called Pete and he was really friendly and the Workshop Manager, Brian I think, knew his stuff. What a refreshing change.:)

Watch the kerb going into the carpark though.

browno

ClioSport Club Member
Just to provide an update on this - firstly a big thanks to Marby for the recommendation!

It's been into Burton today (see what you mean about the kerb too!) to get the CV boot looked at and also leaky headlight washers. It was booked in, and a courtesy car sorted without any fuss, and was asked when I dropped it off whether or not I wanted it washing, and if I wanted to be with them when they checked the car in (which is in stark contrast to experience at Sunwin!).

I headed off to work in the courtesy Modus (not a pleasant drive, but did have the cool full length glass sunroof!) and left them to it.

I called them around 4pm to see how it was going, expecting that it had been looked at, but they'd have to have it back, as they'd need parts... But I was wrong and it was all done - with the whole driveshaft and both headlight washers replaced, and only an extra 1 mile on it - so no excessive "road test" either:).

I had a chat to the guy on the service desk as I was picking it up, and mentioned that they had been recommended on here, and that I'd also give them a thumbs up too and they seemed genuinely pleased to be giving good service.

While I was there I was also eyeing up 197's as I am thinking about chopping in the Leon - and having chatted to the salesman, with their current offers they can do me one for just a few hundred quid more than motorpoint (£14.5K ish) ... so I might well give that some serious thought!!!

Overall, if you're in the area, I'd highly recommend going down to Burton - some great service by people who actually seem bothered about what they're doing... (and it's not often you hear that said about a Renault dealer on here!!!)

It's A Reno
Glad you had a good result.:)
Sutton Park Burton are great aren't they.

Unfortunately, my other gaiter clip has gone today and now out of warranty, would like to avoid dealer prices if possible.

It looks like very little grease has got out and the clip is sort of still intact.
Is replacing the clip a job that can be done yourself, and if so, what clip needs to be used and where can I get one from?

Is the original one is tightened with a crimper?

Any help gratefully received.
Cheers.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I tried myself using various metal clips and plastic clips, nothing lasted more than a week. I took it to a mates garage and paid £10 to have a crimped clip fitted.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Mine snapped on my 172 , but luckily it only needed a new clip . The first thing i did when i got my new 182 home was to fit 10mm cable ties over the clip . So far so good , they haven't snapped yet ;)