ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking to buy a 182 - A little lost. Where do I start!?

I currently own a non sport Clio (2005), and have always had my heart set on a Cliosport.

Now the time has come around where I am serious about getting one, and looking to sell my old one.

Only thing is, this is only my second car I've bought, and if I'm honest, I'm a bit lost as to where to start!

I'm looking at Cliosport 182's , and my prefered colour is blue, and obviously have a budget, so they're my variables, but with that I really don't know where to look!
I've been browsing autotrader, pistonheads etc. But as I said, I'm quite inexperienced as to what I'm doing. All the blue 182's are pretty far away from me, and there are quite a few, even narrowing them down with mileage, condition, colour etc, so how can I tell what an car is like just from the advert?
Like I'll see one and think, ooh that looks quite good, then see another and think oh so does that. Yet I can't just trot down and view them if they're far away lol.

Any tips/advice on how you chose your car would be great, Thanks!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Re: Looking to buy a Cliosport - A little lost. Where do I start!?

Clio Renaultsport.

421 Cammed 172

RenaultSport Clio if you want to be picky.

Have you checked in the for sale section on the forum mate?

Usually the best place as they've been owned by enthusiasts :)

Yea I Know that lol, I just call them that because of here. I know thats they're proper "name", plus its quicker to write lol!

Yea, Basically, my ideal car would be an arctic Blue, full fat 182, around or under £5000.
Its not so much deciding which model sport, but which ones for sale to choose between, obviously there's things like service history and stuff.
Buts its deciding between the ones that fall in that category, especially as most of them are so far away, so you can't distinguish just from an advert.
Just browsing autotrader is a little intimidating.
I have checked on the for sale section on here, as I thought that would be a good bet, but even then I might be paying more for a same car, just because I feel safer because its more likely to have been looked after.

Mate you'll easily get an arctic 182 FF for £4k or less. I got one for considerably less than that with the intent of spending some money on it, all depends if you want one that's ready to go with all the belts done bla bla bla, or whether you can find a slightly neglected one like mine that is good after throwing some dollars at it.

421 Cammed 172
Don't forget to allow atleast £800 for any repairs you'll need to make seeing as it's french ;)

On a serious note make sure it's had the belts done if it's over 5 Years old or 72k Miles and Aux belt if it's done 32k miles. You probably knew that but plenty of people neglect that fact and it's a £500+ bill for belts and £700+ if the dephasers gone due to poor oil and lack of oil changes.

The general consensus seems to be that you should go for one with the good service history. Mileage and spec aren't as important as ensuring it's been well looked after.

Slow red one
I currently own a non sport Clio (2005), and have always had my heart set on a Cliosport.

Now the time has come around where I am serious about getting one, and looking to sell my old one.

Only thing is, this is only my second car I've bought, and if I'm honest, I'm a bit lost as to where to start!

I'm looking at Cliosport 182's , and my prefered colour is blue, and obviously have a budget, so they're my variables, but with that I really don't know where to look!
I've been browsing autotrader, pistonheads etc. But as I said, I'm quite inexperienced as to what I'm doing. All the blue 182's are pretty far away from me, and there are quite a few, even narrowing them down with mileage, condition, colour etc, so how can I tell what an car is like just from the advert?
Like I'll see one and think, ooh that looks quite good, then see another and think oh so does that. Yet I can't just trot down and view them if they're far away lol.

Any tips/advice on how you chose your car would be great, Thanks!
Was looking at 200s at the time and saw a LY 182 from where my at the time 1.2TCE came from and gave a test drive and then put a deposit down. done.

BG 182
Don't forget to allow atleast £800 for any repairs you'll need to make seeing as it's french ;)

On a serious note make sure it's had the belts done if it's over 5 Years old or 72k Miles and Aux belt if it's done 32k miles. You probably knew that but plenty of people neglect that fact and it's a £500+ bill for belts and £700+ if the dephasers gone due to poor oil and lack of oil changes.

Thats one of the best answers in my opinion, I partly bought my 182 due to fact these belts were both done as well as the water pump. Check for FSH by renault too, thats always a winner!

Suzuki Jimny
I would phone up the seller and ask them about the car, if they sound thick ("It's superfast innit") then i'd avoid.

Would also avoid if there was any spelling mistakes in the advert.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
PM if you need any help

The most important thing is decide what colour you really want - as that has an influence over price- You mentioned blue- well the price difference between racing blue & arctic blue is big-

So decide colour- ideally go for both cup packs-
From there -

If you are going for racing blue- A cup packed one with aroun 40-50 k with FSH & Cambelt changed- your looking around 4600-4800 Something like that....

If its the dark blue- knock around 800 sheets off that price

MAKE SURE YOU GET AN INVOICE FOR BELTS CHANGED

S

RB 182 FF
I would phone up the seller and ask them about the car, if they sound thick ("It's superfast innit") then i'd avoid.

Would also avoid if there was any spelling mistakes in the advert.

2nd that, i phoned up a garage as i was intrigued by a CAT D 04 182 and he said that he had no paperwork for anything re: the damage or repair but by looking at it, it was the paasenger rear quarter..... i thought to myself obv s**t repair work then!! so i placed the phone down... quick

Ah thanks for all the advice.
Yea I'm really after an Arctic Blue, Both cup packs, around 40/50 000 miles. They all seem to be around the £5000 mark? Steve you reckon I can get one for roughly £4000 would be decent?
Its just obviously because all the ones that fit my requirements are so far away, how do you distinguish between them from just the advert, like which ones are worth following up for more information!?
Obviously If they're so far away, I want to be as sure as I can about the car before I go, rather than going all the way, and finding a car is a s**tter so to speak.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Ah thanks for all the advice.
Yea I'm really after an Arctic Blue, Both cup packs, around 40/50 000 miles. They all seem to be around the £5000 mark? Steve you reckon I can get one for roughly £4000 would be decent?
Its just obviously because all the ones that fit my requirements are so far away, how do you distinguish between them from just the advert, like which ones are worth following up for more information!?
Obviously If they're so far away, I want to be as sure as I can about the car before I go, rather than going all the way, and finding a car is a s**tter so to speak.

Its difficult- the actual advert & quality of it tells a 100% words -I will have a quick look

Steve

Cheers mate, do you currently have any 182's?
Its just difficult on somewhere like autotrader, coz obviously all the adverts are just lists of things separated by commas lol.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../postcode/da68bu/page/3/radius/1501?logcode=p

Looks good - although would need to confirm cup suspension £4300 would be a good price

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../postcode/da68bu/page/7/radius/1501?logcode=p

looks Ok- prob needs pelts & 100% needs exhaust mounts Prob get £3750

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../page/8/postcode/da68bu/radius/1501?logcode=p

Racing blue reasonable price- needs exhaust mounts & who done the belts £4200 ish

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../radius/1501/page/9/postcode/da68bu?logcode=p

1 owner but overpriced

S

Ahh cheers mate :)
Are exhaust mounts common problem/expensive? Ive been reading all the buyers guides and things.

The bottom one looks a good starting point, looking at their website they've got a racing and arctic blue, and not too far from me.

Also, bit of a stupid question but is the aux belt done seperately to the cambelt?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
aux belt is 3 years 36k- however when the cambelt is done you do the aux belt & aux full kit again-

budget £600 for belts just incase you need a dephaser pulley-

S

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Crap car-

53 Plate- first ones made

No Belts, No splitter- poss no spoiler-

Its not a cup

worthless sat nav

Crap window tints

no mention of any history

Pile of Sh ite & the dealer hasnt got a clue- cup blue?? whats that then....

S

Haha. see this is where I'm so inexperienced. Its the same dealer as the one you posted at the bottom however.
So from that evidence you think I should rule out the bottom one as well. Although that description looks better.

RB 182 FF
Crap car-

53 Plate- first ones made

No Belts, No splitter- poss no spoiler-

Its not a cup

worthless sat nav

Crap window tints

no mention of any history

Pile of Sh ite & the dealer hasnt got a clue- cup blue?? whats that then....

S

whats wrong with an early 182? im looking at a 2004 on a 53 plate RB anythingi need to worry about being one of first oneS?

Yeah no idea dealer-

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../postcode/da68bu/page/3/radius/1501?logcode=p

thats the one I would try--
check renault done the belts as he says FRSH
Check the steering wheel
Discuss the cup suspension- thats my only worry with black wheels ( it does have cup spoiler)
TAX ? MOT?
etc etc HPI?
Its 5 owners BTW I checked for you which is a little high-

S

I've sent him an email with a few quesions Steve, Should I be put off that it has had quiite a few owners?
I might have a browse for some possible racing blue ones later, and run any I find past you if that's okay?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
no probs-

Owners yes / no -- Doesnt mean the end of the word- but does deflate the price - in this case prob a couple of hundred- its when you get to 6 & & it starts really melting down the desirability

Steve

Listerine & Poledo
I've sent him an email with a few quesions Steve, Should I be put off that it has had quiite a few owners?

Mine had about 5 owners before I got it (was 4 years old at the time)
Nothing tragic has happened to it though in the time I've had it (bar the stripes)

# owners means little

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
You not got a couple of examples you could let the man make an offer on, Steve?

;)

only the one you really wanted-

& yes owners quite possibly means nowt to the actualcar,however the residual value is effected...

Tell the Mrs your staying put & buy the LY!!

S

I would think that owners do add up quickly on them because people who buy renaultsports are generally "car people" and therefore upgrade/try others regularly. That said a low owner car is often easier to keep track of history and may well have been looked after better.

Mod wise...try not to be put off. I was when I got mine and regret it. I got a completely standard 182 and now all I want to do is spend money on it. You can save a bomb if you got one that had been modded (and I refer here to choice CS mods here) well. Things like SS exhaust/decent suspension etc...

Finally try not to be impatient and see if you can look at a few locally. You should get a mint one for up to £5K!!