ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking for a new car!!! choices?

Clio 1.6 16v 2002
right i should be coming into so money end of november for taking someone to court for crashing into my old car and driving off.
Things of splashing out on a new car.

atm im not sure what tbh
im thinking a 172 or 182 ff not to woried which one
in Black Gold or Racing Blue.:D

then again ive also been looking for small turboed cars
now they all seem to be old or big, why does no1 make them anymore
bar renault with their twingo which isnt quite me lol

never the less if i go turbo ive sumed it down to a
golf 1.8T
audi a3 1.8T
or seat ibiza 1.8 20v T
any1 got any other thoughs?

What would everyone else choice cus im swinging to another clio (will be my 3rd in a row, 1.2 then a 1.6 then maybe a 2.0 lol)

172 ph1
I've tried the VW Polo GTI 1.8T and that was a cracking little car. Perhaps not as fast as the 172/182 but feels much better put together with a very nice interior.

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
As per my pm to you - 182 is the way forward if you have the funds for it.

My mate Hayley's Leon Cupra that you keep admiring goes ok in a straight line, but the handling isn't special - it just feels so so heavy, and the running costs aren't nice.

The 1.8t engine in it just eats fuel at a frightening rate - she doesn't drive it that hard but it seems to struggle to better 20 mpg. My mates Focus ST is the same.

My 182 is averaging around the 30mpg mark the last few months, although it does drop to mid 25s if you are enthusiastic with it.

-
My mate Hayley's Leon Cupra that you keep admiring goes ok in a straight line, but the handling isn't special - it just feels so so heavy, and the running costs aren't nice.

The 1.8t engine in it just eats fuel at a frightening rate - she doesn't drive it that hard but it seems to struggle to better 20 mpg. My mates Focus ST is the same.

runing costs arent bad at all really, as you would expect from a 225bhp turbo engine(if its an R). even if its a 180bhp cupra that would be even better.

and regarding fuel, i think you friend needs to get it looked at as my cupra R very rarely goes below 20mpg and thats with at least mixed driving.

the only thing that lets it down is the handling, even though it isnt brilliant like a 182 etc its not bad as such, its got lots of grip just feels very heavy when cornering although you dont feel like its going to jump of the road. afterall its a cruiser car really with quite a bit of power not intended to be chucked around like a toy car like a clio.

all depends what your looking for in a car, imo it boils down to wether your going to be chucking the car around through corners all the time.

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
I'd take the 182 everytime - in fact I'm looking to sell mine to go for a lighter car again - a vx220. Been surprised how good the clio is though - Hayley drove my 182 and said how quick it steered etc.

The Leon does go round corners fairly quick, but that's mostly to do with the huge amount of grip it has due to big wheels, and weight to hold it down.

On long sweeping corners driving it back from where she bought it (I got to drive back) you could feel the sheer weight of the thing, and turn in is nothing like as quick as I like.

Comes down to what you are looking for really - I'm not old enough to feel the need for a cruiser, no matter how quick it is in a straight line.

Her Cupra R has a revo re-map so running 265bhp - but none of them seem to get that good mpg.

It has also eaten 2 drive shafts in recent months and an engine mount.

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
I'd take the 182 everytime - in fact I'm looking to sell mine to go for a lighter car again - a vx220. Been surprised how good the clio is though - Hayley drove my 182 and said how quick it steered etc.

The Leon does go round corners fairly quick, but that's mostly to do with the huge amount of grip it has due to big wheels, and weight to hold it down.

On long sweeping corners driving it back from where she bought it (I got to drive back) you could feel the sheer weight of the thing, and turn in is nothing like as quick as I like.

Comes down to what you are looking for really - I'm not old enough to feel the need for a cruiser, no matter how quick it is in a straight line.

Her Cupra R has a revo re-map so running 265bhp - but none of them seem to get that good mpg.

It has also eaten 2 drive shafts in recent months and an engine mount.

Clio 1.6 16v 2002
yeh my budget it around £5k dont really want to go over that but seen some nice 1*2's for £4500ish. i wouldn't say i would throw it around alot cus it would be my pride and joy just like my 1.6 atm lol

as for cruisin im not to fussed, im quite tall and slouch a little anyway.
the seat in my clio atm is as low as it goes and all the way back, im comfy like that and can still reach everything no problem.

think the only reason im considering a turbo is for the dump valve and the mid rev boost lol,

Clio 1.6 16v 2002
lol non for the vee thats a bit out of the price range and running fees lol
yeh dump valves are possey but the boost you get from the turbo is just so good. if i get bored i could always turbo the 182 lol

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Civic Type R (no VTEC YO' jokes please)

Just as quick or quicker than a 172/182 dependant on how you rate them, build quality is better my a mile and residual values are non compatible to that of renault.

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
See, 182 is the way forward....mine's for sale - although at £5895 it'd stretch your budget.

You'd have most of the mods plus more that you old one had, but the performance to go with it...

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=360597

You know where I live since buying my 182 wheels from me - pop round if you like and I'll take you out in it to see how it goes.

07877 801980

If you've had a 1.6 16v clio, you *may* be annoyed if you get a 1*2, due to the fact that it'll feel like you're driving your old car lol.

But if you lift your mattress, find some more money, I'll price match mrjoebristolgym! ;)

Clio 1.6 16v 2002
i did consider civic and intergra type r's but ive never been to sure on the gear stick in the civic and the intergras work out quiet expensive

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
i did consider civic and intergra type r's but ive never been to sure on the gear stick in the civic and the intergras work out quiet expensive

Everyones aprehensive about the gear stick, its actually pretty cool.

Also it makes for easy access for female passengers.

The seats squelched on my old Honda lol ;)

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
I had a Mk4 Golf 1.8T with the AGU engine(150 1.8T) wasnt impressed with the performance of it, just didnt feel like i was driving a turbo. Nowhere near as fast as my 172 but very nice interior though and the possibilties of gaining more hp is very easy.

Only problem is with the VAG turbo engines, they dont really like atmospheric dump valves they prefer to run on quieter recirc ones so you cant "pose" lol

Ibiza cupra's are nice but the cupra R is the one you want which is rare to find one for sale!

Clio 1.6 16v 2002
I had a Mk4 Golf 1.8T with the AGU engine(150 1.8T) wasnt impressed with the performance of it, just didnt feel like i was driving a turbo. Nowhere near as fast as my 172 but very nice interior though and the possibilties of gaining more hp is very easy.

Only problem is with the VAG turbo engines, they dont really like atmospheric dump valves they prefer to run on quieter recirc ones so you cant "pose" lol

Ibiza cupra's are nice but the cupra R is the one you want which is rare to find one for sale!

thanks for all the advice everyone, my big bro had a golf 2l gti but the non turbo and i always though it was amazing, when i got my 1.6 i soon relised it was pants when i was beating it lol the interior was nice i agree though propper comfy car :approve: