ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking at buying a 172

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Celica ST182
Hi, i'm looking at getting rid of my 1993 Toyota Celica and getting a 172, now i was having a look round the forum and found the buyers guide above, but there is a link to the common problem thread that i can't access

I don't suppose someone could summerise it for me could you, coming from a Toyota forum all i hear is "beware of dodgy French wiring and driveshaft failure", any truth in this??

Also, what sort of intervals id the cambelt due so i know what to look for when i'm viewing cars

Celica ST182
I'm not being funny or anything, but i am still deciding what car to buy, so don't really want to shell out only to find that they have loads of faults

I thought it would be prudent to do some research first before buying a car, but it looks like i will have to shell out first either way :(

And if i did buy one i would certainly sign up as a full member, i am currently a fully paid up Moderator over on the Celica Club UK forum

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Hi, i'm looking at getting rid of my 1993 Toyota Celica and getting a 172, now i was having a look round the forum and found the buyers guide above, but there is a link to the common problem thread that i can't access

I don't suppose someone could summerise it for me could you, coming from a Toyota forum all i hear is "beware of dodgy French wiring and driveshaft failure", any truth in this??

Also, what sort of intervals id the cambelt due so i know what to look for when i'm viewing cars

5 years or 72k on cambelt, 36k and 'some' years on the aux belt, not sure how many
Diesel sounding engine on tickover means the dephaser pulley has gone, which means a cambelt change and 600 quid
Knocking on hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd is exhaust knocking on subframe = worn engine mounts
Steering wheels falling to bits is normal, you'll do well to find a 172 with the original wheel intact

Anything else is just general checks for any other car really

Celica ST182
Many thanks for the reply James, going to have a look at a dark blue 172 after work tomorrow as i have finally decided to break my Celica as it's doing my head in

Celica ST182
How are the electrics, as all i keep getting told by all my mates is to avoid Clio's like the plague

Status
Not open for further replies.