ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking at buying a 172 CUP - 1 question

BMW E63 and an E36
The car I've seen seems spot on, what I want.
However, the airbag light doesn't come on, thus doesn't go off.
Is this a common problem or what could it be? I don't want to commit to a car and end up spending a fortune on repairs.

Thanks
Ben

BMW E63 and an E36
Presumably when you start it, the airbag light is supposed to illuminate for a few seconds on starting.
Yes.. But it doesn't.

The service light is on, but it is due a service I'm unsure if the two are connected?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Oh ok did wonder, Something i'd have never noticed!

Service light means there is a fault, not that it needs a service.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The two are connected, yes.

The SERV light isn't because a service is due, it is because something is wrong with the car, but it is not so urgent that you must immediately stop.

It can be linked to various things, it is usually accompanied with another warning light on the dash, or an oil low warning on the trip computer. If nothing else is lit up, just the SERV light, I suspect it might well be that someone has tampered with the Airbag light so it doesn't illuminate.

A common problem is the connectors under the seats - usually a wiggle is enough to turn the light off again.

BMW E63 and an E36
The two are connected, yes.

The SERV light isn't because a service is due, it is because something is wrong with the car, but it is not so urgent that you must immediately stop.

It can be linked to various things, it is usually accompanied with another warning light on the dash, or an oil low warning on the trip computer. If nothing else is lit up, just the SERV light, I suspect it might well be that someone has tampered with the Airbag light so it doesn't illuminate.

A common problem is the connectors under the seats - usually a wiggle is enough to turn the light off again.

Thanks for your reply, the airbag light doesn't even come on at ALL, all the others do that should.

Then the service light stays on, I figured even removing fuses/adjusting wires the airbag light would remain on?

So with it staying off the plot seems to thicken ... Seems a bit bizarre ... Can't find anything online either.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Does the serv light stay on whilst driving? Has it got anything else on?

It's worth plugging into an OBDII reader if you've got one, or if someone local has one, to confirm that it's nothing else. But it sounds like someone's bodged the airbag light off.

BMW E63 and an E36
Does the serv light stay on whilst driving? Has it got anything else on?

It's worth plugging into an OBDII reader if you've got one, or if someone local has one, to confirm that it's nothing else. But it sounds like someone's bodged the airbag light off.
Services and light stays on everything else is okay. Does sound like it's been bodged off?

Hmm not sure if its worth a punt or not... :(