ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Locking Wheel Key Broken

Breaking A 172 Replica
The unlocking key for the wheel bolts on my clio has snapped inside so the pattern no longer matches.

Can I take the key into Renault and ask them to find me a new one or is it drill the bugger out time? Its on too tight for tapping it out btw.

Thanks

Sam

P.S. I do not have the locking key code in the handbook.

If were on about the proper Renault keys well there a load of them hence why you need to know what type you have there 30 odd different codes.

Halfords etc sell wheel nut removal tools you hammer them on and take the bolt off like that or you can always hammer a socket set ontop of them

Breaking A 172 Replica
I will get a pic now Edde.

I don't think its a genuine renault as it doesn't have the spinning ring on the outside yet a socket wouldn't go over the top as its smooth and round on the outside?

Breaking A 172 Replica
Can they tell from the key or the bolt? As in are they able to match from that? Or is it just trial and error?

Breaking A 172 Replica
Are they not mutually exclusive?

If I force a socket into the groove the bolt will be fucked and tommo's key won't work?

Sam

Lots of Alfas
If its a renault one Renault charge £30 for the pleasure and you have to wait 2 weeks for them to come from Italy. Ive not seen a Renault one like that, on the key is there a code like "w" or a FA code written somewhere in your log book?

Clio MK2 (1.2)
in the 3rd pic you posted (pic of the Key) if you could bend the part thats starting to go out of shape then try and wedge it in the grove, and wont budge then try and unbolt it very slowely (probz use a drill)

CB600FS
Yeah loads look like that no Renault ones are 100% 'unique' if that makes sense. Its deffo a Renault one if people loose the keys/round the keys off at work I usually...

1. Get a spare locker key thats the same and undo it
2. Get a spare locker key thats roughly the same, hammer it on and undo
3. Hammer really hard 5/6 times onto the bolt head with a drift, shocks it, and tap it round with a smaller drift (butchers option)
4. Weld a nut onto it, undo

I reckon I've got one similar to that

K20 EG Hatch
Good luck!

This happened with my 1.2 but it damaged the key, i then got a puncture and renault said 6 weeks to get me a new key.

I got them all off and bought aftermarket lock nuts.

This took a good three hours to get them all off and as there so well designed and such hard steel there hard work. I dented the outter collar into the middle but to stop the outer spinning on the inside and then hammer and chisled them off. But there bloody hard steel, it killed to chisels and i ended up using a bolt cutting chisel for the job.

Much easier said than done though, it will take ages to get em off i promise you lol.

DSC00510.gif

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
If possible go to a local rally prep/etc place (somewhere careful with a welder) and get them to weld nuts on. It won't be pretty but it turns into a half hour job. If the recess in the wheel isn't too big (I haven't looked at the pics) Or removal socket or hammer a socket on and use a windy gun