ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

locking car from outside with engine running?

is there anyway easy way of locking the car from outside while the engine running? now that the frost has started setting in I'd like to be able to warm the car up for 10 mins before I set off in the morning without having to worry about someone driving off

Nissan 350z
There are products out there that do this such as "Clifford Intellistart" but they dont seem compatible with the Clios alarm.

I just start the car then go back inside and proceed to eat my breakfast while standing in the window keeping an eye on it :)

Golf GTD Mk7
best way to do it is start the car. go over to the passenger door, lock with the button inside the car, then lock the passengers side door with the spare key :)

172 cup
I've noticed on my car I can run out in the morning to warm it up to defrost the windows and the only times I will autolock is when I begin to drive off.

But, being prone to s h * t things happening to me I still tend to not close the door all the way just in case...

Golf GTD Mk7
I've noticed on my car I can run out in the morning to warm it up to defrost the windows and the only times I will autolock is when I begin to drive off.

But, being prone to s h * t things happening to me I still tend to not close the door all the way just in case...

it won't lock until over 5mph I believe.

Golf GTD Mk7
best way to do it is start the car. go over to the passenger door, lock with the button inside the car, then lock the passengers side door with the spare key :)

Works. Fact!! Then just unlock by putting the key in the lock. When you open the door the other doors will unlock

ph1 black 172
car cover for about £10-20, then no frosty windows and no problem with it being nicked.

still will be cold but windows will be clear.

it maybe one of the only features my focus has but having a heated windscreen is so useful! give it 2 mins and its completely clear

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
Always thought it was bad to idle the car like that. Suppose it doesn't really matter too much on a mass produced engine.

ITB'd MK1

it won't lock until over 5mph I believe.

I've had too many cars lock when working on them with the keys in the ignition. Window down is the first thing i do.

Black RS200
why is it?:S

Because it is.

Also will void your insurance if it gets stolen.

2 ltr bottle of luke warm water works every time!
(it dont even need to be hot water, room temp will defrost the windows)
DONT USE HOT WATER THOUGH OR YOU WILL CRACK YOUR WINDOW.

PH1 iceburg
Leaving the car running whilst not in it is an offence known as quitting. Summonsable by the police iirc

Facelift R53 Cooper S
I'm sure someone once told me that leaving an engine idling for long periods of time can eventually cause damage to your cat, not sure how much truth there is in that though.

306 GTI-6
Yeah, but in this instance we are talking minutes to warm up the car. People spend minutes sat in traffic sometimes, with the engine idling.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Even the remote start on the alarms ARE NOT Thatcham-approved so insurance people dont like them.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Several sources have said that leaving an engine idling causes twice or even three times the wear that an engine under load normally experiences (within reason! Bouncing it off the limiter will donald duck it as well!) because the engine is designed to be loaded. The way it was explained to me is that an engine is designed to have resistance applied to it in a certain direction, whereas if it's idling that resistance isn't there and on occasions can even reverse briefly, causing in effect a 'slapping'.

The truth behind this I'm unsure of, but it's one of a couple of reasons that modern cars are now fitted with stop-start.

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
I was going to use a turbo timer for this (I used to do this on my other car), but couldn't be bothered to look into getting a wiring harness etc.

Timed to run for 6mins, if handbrake is dropped it'll stop as well.

Didin't know it was/could be an offence though.

All sorted now for me. Clio is going to be kept in the garage again from Monday

Golf GTD Mk7
Several sources have said that leaving an engine idling causes twice or even three times the wear that an engine under load normally experiences (within reason! Bouncing it off the limiter will donald duck it as well!) because the engine is designed to be loaded. The way it was explained to me is that an engine is designed to have resistance applied to it in a certain direction, whereas if it's idling that resistance isn't there and on occasions can even reverse briefly, causing in effect a 'slapping'.

The truth behind this I'm unsure of, but it's one of a couple of reasons that modern cars are now fitted with stop-start.

hmm, still confusing really. but if that's what you've been told then fare enough. seems strange though.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I've had too many cars lock when working on them with the keys in the ignition. Window down is the first thing i do.

This is the most irritating thing ever! happend to me quite alot i never leave a car running and leave it for the sole reason it will most likely lock itself >.<

Clio DCi 65
Haven't had a break in at my village for coming on 15 years!

Start her up and leave her on the drive way!