ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Local Area Subdivisions (please read)

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
We are looking to completely revamp local area meets over the coming weeks. The imminent arrival of the new forum platform makes arranging meetings incredibly easy and we want to take full advantage of this.

One aspect we have spoken about is dividing all regions into smaller subdivisions to encourage more members to attend. Let's call them micro meets.

The idea being that micro meets could be organised during the week and then larger meets incorporating all subdivisions could be arranged at weekends.

We would need each subdivision to have its own rep and for them to regularly communicate with the other reps to coordinate the bigger 'weekend' meetings.

What we need to know from you guys is how best to divide the areas up into actions. Does your area even need dividing up?

There will be an application process for area reps once we have everything in place.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ron
CS Admin

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I think at the very least we need a Scotland North/South division.

Personally, I think if you're looking at micro meets, then even going as far as Scotland North, East and West wouldn't be unreasonable.

North to cover highlands (I realise this is a big area, but I don't know how you could split it further), East and West would be a split for the central belt area with East covering Edinburgh, Fife etc. and West would cover Glasgow, Ayr.

This could just be grouped into one, and have the north/south regions as above, but I think if it was split into the 3 there would be a greater chance that people would want to go to meets during the week as they'd be pretty much right on their doorstep.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I think at the very least we need a Scotland North/South division.

Personally, I think if you're looking at micro meets, then even going as far as Scotland North, East and West wouldn't be unreasonable.

North to cover highlands (I realise this is a big area, but I don't know how you could split it further), East and West would be a split for the central belt area with East covering Edinburgh, Fife etc. and West would cover Glasgow, Ayr.

This could just be grouped into one, and have the north/south regions as above, but I think if it was split into the 3 there would be a greater chance that people would want to go to meets during the week as they'd be pretty much right on their doorstep.

Ok that's something we will bare in mind mate, thanks ;)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Inverness (north)

Aberdeen (east)

Glasgow/Edinburgh (south)

West... well there's not very much there apart from good roads for the rest of us to drive on so no point having anything there. Inverness can cover the north west I suppose.

I'd be happy to do Inverness, I don't think there's many people on here from up this way.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Inverness (north)

Aberdeen (east)

Glasgow/Edinburgh (south)

West... well there's not very much there apart from good roads for the rest of us to drive on so no point having anything there. Inverness can cover the north west I suppose.

I'd be happy to do Inverness, I don't think there's many people on here from up this way.

That sounds a better idea tbh. I forgot just how far apart Aberdeen and Inverness were lol!

I still think southern/central Scotland could do with a split too though. When you take into account places down Ayrshire way, if we just had one group for the central area, a meet organised over Edinburgh way (karting for this CS areas day being a good example) would be a long way to go for some from the west.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah its a fair trek, especially on the A96 :(

Yeah you're right there I suppose. I guess if enough people volunteer then they can arrange something but I have a feeling there won't be many interested in this task for some reason.

Scotland seems to be very quiet for meets now that everyone down south goes to Knockhill so much.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I hate to p1$$ on the fire but unless its a Knockhill meet i don't think many people will attend.

I would love for there to be more meets / mini meets / cruises or whatever but its hard with people having family / work commitments

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I think 4 is the right split, Inverness, Aberdeen, South East and South west. It's far too big an area for 1 ime which is why even though I had the area rep under my name I had Dave, Gaz and Liam helping as well.
Daves done a cracking job of organising knockhill this year whilst working every hour god sends and then some.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I hate to p1$$ on the fire but unless its a Knockhill meet i don't think many people will attend.

I would love for there to be more meets / mini meets / cruises or whatever but its hard with people having family / work commitments

IMO the fact that people have that exact mentality over meets up this way is the reason they never happen. I know it's easy for me to say, being 21 and not having family commitments to deal with or anything, but every other region on here seems to manage just fine.

It seems to me like all the active Scottish members don't care about meets any more because they've all known each other for a while now, keep in contact through other networks and see each other regularly at knockhill, and so just generally don't really want to get involved any more. It doesn't help that the newer Scottish members aren't getting involved but tbh that's down to there being nothing organised for them to attend.

Not trying to s**t on anyone's parade here, as I've no idea what this was like when we still had proper reps (was only on here a few months before John resigned as area rep), but that's just my opinion of how things are now.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
IMO the fact that people have that exact mentality over meets up this way is the reason they never happen. I know it's easy for me to say, being 21 and not having family commitments to deal with or anything, but every other region on here seems to manage just fine.

It seems to me like all the active Scottish members don't care about meets any more because they've all known each other for a while now, keep in contact through other networks and see each other regularly at knockhill, and so just generally don't really want to get involved any more. It doesn't help that the newer Scottish members aren't getting involved but tbh that's down to there being nothing organised for them to attend.

Not trying to s**t on anyone's parade here, as I've no idea what this was like when we still had proper reps (was only on here a few months before John resigned as area rep), but that's just my opinion of how things are now.

This is exactly what we are trying to resolve. We really want newer members to get involved in more social club events

Keep an eye on this section over the coming weeks ;)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I think the main problem may be that everything is at knockhill and no other meets or drives get planned now.

Aviemore was decent enough, it would be good to have something on a nice day with a good road, possibly applecross? That everyone can go along to rather than thrashing round KH then going home.

I know .GAZ. has his opinion on this, he posted about it before when it was brought up.

Just to point out that I'm not moaning about it, it's understandable. It's close for you lot down there so why not.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Hopefully by dividing the area up and having a couple more reps on board there will be a few more things going on.

I'm open to suggestions guys. If you think something will work well in your area let me know.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
There isn't enough active north east members for that to work in our region!i can think of maybe 5 that attend meets that post in the north east section. I can see your thinking but probably won't be as successful in all regions.

It take it you meant to post in the NE section and not Scotland? lol

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Its pretty true of the NE of Scotland too though!

I will almost certainly come back to sorting out meets but its good to see that some are happening. I think some the older members forget that without meets we wouldn't be mates now.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Its pretty true of the NE of Scotland too though!

I will almost certainly come back to sorting out meets but its good to see that some are happening. I think some the older members forget that without meets we wouldn't be mates now.

Yeah I've made some great mate through local meets.

Hopefully we can get some of the newer members involved :)

Arctic 182 & PB 172
I have been been wanting to get involved more and more. I keep harping on about meets as I have had my 182 since 2010 and not been to one local meet!?!?! That's awful, and it is not from lack of trying.

I Live in Aberdeen, I am always about, stupidly enthusiastic about the cars too. I don't have any of the often talked about work and family restrictions.

There are loads of cliosports kicking about here, gotta be some lads interested!

I'm up for being a rep here in Aberdeen and surrounding area. Quite a few lads in Aviemore too I think...

John can just kind of keep me right in my early stages.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I have been been wanting to get involved more and more. I keep harping on about meets as I have had my 182 since 2010 and not been to one local meet!?!?! That's awful, and it is not from lack of trying.

I Live in Aberdeen, I am always about, stupidly enthusiastic about the cars too. I don't have any of the often talked about work and family restrictions.

There are loads of cliosports kicking about here, gotta be some lads interested!

I'm up for being a rep here in Aberdeen and surrounding area. Quite a few lads in Aviemore too I think...

John can just kind of keep me right in my early stages.

Ben, keep an eye out in this section. We will be starting to take applications for reps soon.

AB Clio 182
Splitting Scotland up into 4 separate areas is defiantly the way forward. Been on here a year now and not been to a single meet. Its not because I don't want to just that the meets organised have been a bit of a trek away. Having more areas more definetly encourage more meets to take place and more people to attend them. Could also arrange a big meet maybe once or twice a year or something.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I spoke to "The Boosh" last week regarding something totally different and we got on this subject and what I did suggest is a mini CCS Scotland show. Not just aimed at clios but all Renault sports.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah been discussed before, would involve the north of England boys too, I had kames down as a good venue for it. Plenty of stand space for show and the sprint track for go

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I spoke to "The Boosh" last week regarding something totally different and we got on this subject and what I did suggest is a mini CCS Scotland show. Not just aimed at clios but all Renault sports.

It would also be a great excuse for me to come up to Scotland and find my roots ;)

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
TBH, the areas need defining by CS admin.

Area boundaries have become distorted over time due to where reps are based, not on where the members are. With a little effort and time you could figure out new boundaries and once set for good, recruit for someone to cover it.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I've seen pics of you, your roots left a long time ago ;)

FLOL! I used to be a ginger so I must be Scottish right?

In all seriousness my dad seems to think were are descendants of the Campbell clan, whom I believe massacred a load of McDonald's at Glencoe?

All I know is I could murder some McDonalds right now? Maybe a Big Mac?

TBH, the areas need defining by CS admin.

Area boundaries have become distorted over time due to where reps are based, not on where the members are. With a little effort and time you could figure out new boundaries and once set for good, recruit for someone to cover it.

Yes I agree that the reps will need to ensure they organise stuff that's accessible for everyone. Not just stuff that's local to them.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
haha! Nice skirting around what I actually said ;)

I wasn't skirting around it mate.

The whole point in these posts was to try and understand what members wanted in the way of the areas that we need to cover.

If I've misinterpreted what you said I apologise.

There's no point of me deciding what borders should be in Scotland because I don't know the areas or how the members are spread across them.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
The club holds the address of every member, a requirement for the membership packs.

Using the first half of the Postcode you could plot where all the members actually are. This would help with the defining of areas and also when planing National meets to pick somewhere convenient for the masses.

Whilst asking on the forum is going to provide some information, the views expressed here are of those that come on-line, and actually only those that come on-line and notice this thread. A small percentage of actual paying members in reality.

I have no idea of what the new forum will bring, I know some great ideas were being batted about which would mean big changes and I'm sure at this later stage the changes will be even better. It just needs to be managed properly!

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Just to throw this in. The reason driving meets as previously was done, stopped. It was a great weekend, driving an social, but as events unfolded and two cars mistimed an overtake and it ended in a public road user going to hospital and court case. Everyone did walk away from it.

That's the reason why driving meets are now really conducted on track. It adds a far safer option after the events. Now this was a few years ago, but all the older members I reckon still hark back to this.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
There is nothing wrong with driving meets, if some pleb does a dodgy overtake or mistakenly thinks he's on a race track, then he should be banned from the site. As that sort of behaviour gives the rest a bad reputation.
Let's face it Clio's have been around now for 20+ years and so the ages of the drivers will span the age range, some may be on their third or fourth long term Clio (not including those who buy cheap, wreck it and then buy another one every couple of months of or even every couple of years) and "middle aged" and may prefer a spirited scenic drive which gets them there in one piece with a working car rather than going balls out, buggering up the car and possibly someone else's day as well as their own!

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
So this area has fallen into my collection of areas to look into before we open up the applications and after reading through the ideas coming from you guys it's looking likely to split Scotland up into 4 sections?

So would it be a north, east west and central arrangement that would work best do you think?

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
As for driving meets, they can be done but the arranger has to put down the strict rules of that he will lead the group to control the pace, and that pace will be not be race pace ext, and then hopefully the person that arranges the meet has the mind frame to control the group well.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
So this area has fallen into my collection of areas to look into before we open up the applications and after reading through the ideas coming from you guys it's looking likely to split Scotland up into 4 sections?

So would it be a north, east west and central arrangement that would work best do you think?

I'd say Inverness (Nw), Grampian (ne), Lothian, fife, borders (se) and Glasgow, ayr, Dumfries, Argyllshire (sw).

But that's just me.

Re driving meets, good points, dunno if we have anyone sensible enough, maybe arg_carra but even he's got a bit racy these days ;)