ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Limp Mode; Throttle Potentiometer - What to do? (Useful thread)

Si

RS Clio 172
Hi,

Recently My car has been idling strangly, dying and going in and out of limp mode. I took it to Renault and found it was being caused by the Throttle Potentiometer.

They've quoted me £400 to change it, which I'm not paying. lol.

Can I solve the problem by picking up a new/used throttle body unit? I've heard they're easy to change over/ I'm assuming the Throttle Potentiometer is part of the unit itself, am i right in thinking this?

Cheers for any help.

Titanium 182
Re: Throttle Potentiometer - What to do?

i think im right in saying that the potentiometer is found on the actual pedal itself?

Si

RS Clio 172

aaaa so it's a case of replacing the pedal unit?

I read when i first started getting these problems that it often involves a replacement of either the throttle body or the pedal unit.

cheers.

Titanium 182

i know on my 197 its on the pedal dont know for sure if yours is? im sure some one more in the know will post clarify

Si

RS Clio 172

Cheers for the help guys.

Foxy - I'll have it off you if someone can say for certain that is the cause.

SchwepTek™

I had this problem for a good 6 months as alot of people on here know.

Same fault code as your having.

I would start with the pedal and then the throttle body itself.

Not to worry you but I ended up changing a lot of other stuff too and it ended up being the ecu itself.

Just change the pedal for now and check the connector that plugs into it as these are pretty common for failing too.

Si

RS Clio 172

Cheers schwep <3

easy job?

Si

RS Clio 172

Holla. I'll get onto Mr Foxy then.

Hugz. X

Had the same problem with my 172 cup changed the pedal (about £45) from renault, and changed it myself had no problems since

* Goes to touch wood*

Just make sure renault order the correct pedal as I asked for a metal one and they ordered me a plastic one and had to wait an extra 2 days

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Same here, although for me a secondhand throttle body bought on here for £25, and 5 mins and 4x 10mm bolts later fixed it.

Si

RS Clio 172

Kool. Cheers for the confindence boosters! Pedal unit on the way :)

Si

RS Clio 172

I'm still not coming mate. Lol.

Just mentioned to Steve that me and dan should come up another weekend though. Maybe evo triangle trip?

Nissan 350z

I had the exact problem as well. Mine was caused however by the throttle body getting alittle clogged up. I didnt change the "pretentiometer" in the end just the TB and ive not had the problem since.

Si

RS Clio 172

Yussssss!

;)

woop!

I had the exact problem as well. Mine was caused however by the throttle body getting alittle clogged up. I didnt change the "pretentiometer" in the end just the TB and ive not had the problem since.

cheers. I've been advised to give the tb a bit of a clean out anyway so I'll do that first.

Si

RS Clio 172

right.... bit of an update.

firstly i've changed the pedal unit. At first all seemed well after doing this but the past few days the car has started stalling itself whilst idling. I haven't had the car go into limp mode since changing the pedal unit though? i hope i don't have 2 separate problems!

Anyway, tonight i went about taking the throttle body off and giving it a clean. tbh it seemed pretty good anyway but hey ho...

once refitted i went to start the car and with just the ignition on i noticed the throttle body was making a strange noise. nomally my throttle body has always made a slight whining noise but today it sounded very jittery. i'm guessing this points the finger at the throttle body being the root of the problems?

How much is a new one?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

i believe this is the part number you need from renault.

8200110994 £197.18

Si

RS Clio 172

£200? ffs. lol. kinda explains why they wanted £400 to fix it... ish.

2nd hand it is!

I saw a throttle body on ebay for 30 quid earlier i think, buyitnow

Si

RS Clio 172

f0xy you are my parts hero. i'll go look.

Si

RS Clio 172

Another update...

Bought that TB that was on eBay and fitted it last night. At first all seemed well and car seemed to be driving better. Same story on the drive to work this morning really except as I neared work the car died on idle again. Something's clearly still not right. I'm also starting to think that my thoughts of the car driving better was just a bit of a placebo affect.

What's the next port of call? It's really starting to get me down now :(

only other thought I have is that the TB unit I bought might also have been faulty? That'd be harsh. Lol.

maybe its something else unrelated to the throttle.....TDC Sensor maybe

Nissan 350z

Nah TDC sensor wouldnt account for stalling at Idle. Id be more inclined to try cleaning the Idle Control Valve or replace it.

You've already swapped the part Renault diagnosed so id give this a try next.

IIRC The Ph2s don't have an idle control valve as such, they are a Ph1 item which goes on the back of the inlet.

Si

RS Clio 172

Yer there's no ICV. Could it be ECU related? Might try and borrow a throttle body off my mate's 182 just to check.

SchwepTek™

As you might have seen with mine. I tried TB, then Throttle pedal and wiring loom, then TDC sensor but it still did it.

Got a new ECU in the end which cured it. However i always got the Pot error when connected to diagnostics.

Have you jump started the car recently?

Si

RS Clio 172

No.... But I jumped someone elses. Why?

1998 BMW e46 323i

I had weird revving and non starting. Replaced tdc pedal and tb. Carried on even after resetting fault codes. Had the codes reset by a proper diagnostic tool not my eBay special and all was well for about 6 months. Now I'm having intermittent rev probs at start up. Think I need the error codes deleting properly again. Hope this helps, even tho the prob is a little different.

Si

RS Clio 172

cheers for help. Although I think Rneault tried deleteing the fault and it just came back immediately.

Fitted a new battery at the weekend and re-fitted the original pedal unit and TB. It's still s**t. lol.

How much was the ECU schwep? and what did you mean about jump starting?

Si

RS Clio 172

Also I noticed today the car seems to be drinking fuel.

Skoda Fabia vRS

does the TB not need to be programmed at Renault, i know quite a few models do, we get garages all the time coming to our place to programme new TB's but not sure on the Clio if this is the case

Si

RS Clio 172

Did you get this sorted in the end Si?

nope, although it very rarely drops into limp mode any more i just get a very jumpy throttle at times. which is a bit scary! haha. service due soon so will prob book it in at RenTech and ask those guys to have a look.

does the TB not need to be programmed at Renault, i know quite a few models do, we get garages all the time coming to our place to programme new TB's but not sure on the Clio if this is the case

I heard it didn't... may be wrong though!