ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lightweight battery

vjs

Clio 172
Just a short question if it is OK to swap the standard battery to the varley redtop 25 on the daily used car?
Will it be enough of power when driving with the headlights on etc?

Many.
All a battery does is supply enough voltage to start the car, alternator takes over once running.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I was told that these battery's only have a life of a couple of years and they don't like being left connected for long periods if the car isn't being used.

Many.
Only becomes an issue if fitted on, as you say, a car that isnt used, They don't like slight gradule draining, like from clock etc, but will be fine for about 36/48hours, as long as it gets driven and thus charged.

If the cars not going to be used for a few days, battery will need disconnecting, as obviously, being a small battery, they don't have the same amp hours as a regular battery.

vjs

Clio 172
May I use any other cheaper battery/manufacturer instead? 20Ah motorcycle battery or some other?

vjs

Clio 172
What about charging of 20 Ah battery? If the OEM recommended battery is a 45 Ah should it be changed charging relay to smaller capacity to not overcharge the smaller battery?

Polo + Micra
i wouldn't go for a motor cycle battery as it might not have the cranking amps to start a car

charging is not an issue

Many.
Gel is a brilliant idea, Mostly due to better cycling, but also from a safety aspect, being non leaking etc.

Whatever you get, as long as it has enough power to start the car, thats all that matters, Just don't go leaving the ign on for ages and expect it to start!