ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lights on after changing steering wheel and a c**k up with airbag plugs

RB 182
So i changed my steering wheel a few days ago and when i had finished i found that these 2 lights came on while driving

20171009_052628_zpsrozmmijr.jpg

I read up that i may have moved my steering wheel angle sensor so today i went and took it all off, made sure that the little dot was yellow which i believe is what i read it needed to be to be central? The issue is still there, any more ideas?

And on a side note, While removing my wheel today i got angry because it wasn't moving, yanked it bit too hard and ripped one of the airbag clips off the wire as you can see here

20171013_111858_zps9avutl5u.jpg

So now the airbag light is on too, could i possibly just solder a resistor onto the end of that wire or is it more of a complex job than this?.

TIA

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
The traction control light will stay on if you have the incorrect boss. As far as i know the only bosses that have a tab on the back to drive the steering wheel angle sensor are the Momo boss and possibly the Oreca boss too? Other bosses such as eBay Specials or OMP etc dont have this tab on the back, which brings up that warning light and disables the traction control.

As for the airbag plug, I did the same and tried soldering and its very very thin and would probably break again, its like trying to solder to a circuit board trace that someone has made into wire! I ended up buying a new squib. Little tip for next time, when you remove the centre bolt, put it back in hand tight , so that way when you yank on the wheel off it'll move 5mm max rather than taking your jaw out

Hope that helps

RB 182
The traction control light will stay on if you have the incorrect boss. As far as i know the only bosses that have a tab on the back to drive the steering wheel angle sensor are the Momo boss and possibly the Oreca boss too? Other bosses such as eBay Specials or OMP etc dont have this tab on the back, which brings up that warning light and disables the traction control.

As for the airbag plug, I did the same and tried soldering and its very very thin and would probably break again, its like trying to solder to a circuit board trace that someone has made into wire! I ended up buying a new squib. Little tip for next time, when you remove the centre bolt, put it back in hand tight , so that way when you yank on the wheel off it'll move 5mm max rather than taking your jaw out

Hope that helps
Its a tim finch boss so i believe it should be correct... It has 2 tabs which appear to slot into the near the wheel angle sensor?

I still have the old squib so may be able to bastardise it and get it back on then.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Its a tim finch boss so i believe it should be correct... It has 2 tabs which appear to slot into the near the wheel angle sensor?

I still have the old squib so may be able to bastardise it and get it back on then.

Not familiar with that boss but it sounds correct, might just be a case of resetting the angle sensor like you've described, stick some miles on it too. Mine was on after fitting a momo boss but did about 2 miles and the code obviously cleared or something as it disappeared.

I tried to repair mine, the ribbon cable those plugs are fed from must be about 3-4m long! got myself in a right knot and just ended up getting another off ebay for £25 and being very very careful haha

182, M3, Astra Van
I had to reset my steering wheel angle sensor recently also, even with clearing the code it still took a bit of a drive before the lights went out....