ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Light Wheel Brands

Q

Qube

Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum, so hi!!

I want to get some light-ass wheels for performance, more than aesthetics. What brands do people recommend (and why)?

Tom.

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
I keep thinking about changing my 2118's for something a bit lighter, my 172 is used on track and at the ring so it's nice having the reassurance of the strength of the 2118's.

Am i worrying too much? how do lightweight 15's stand up to track/ring abuse in the real world?

TVR Cerbera
Expensive though TDs are well priced for the weight.

It's all down to the size of your wallet and what you are doing with the car. Why spend thousands on wheels that are a few kgs lighter than you already have, to get that last ounce of performance, or go buy a faster car? I've just swapped my turini's for willy wheels. paid £150 for the new ones. lighter and cheap.

Lighter they are the more expensive they get, and ride too many potholes or curbs on track, and you will be buying more too.

TVR Cerbera
Volk CE28N 15x7 4.13 Buddy Club P1 Racing QF 15x7 4.58 OZ Superleggera 15x7 5.22 OZ Ultraleggera 15x7 5.62 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1 15x7 6.08 Team Dynamics Pro Race 2 15x7 6.40 OZ Racing F1 15x7 8.98 Speedline 2118 Racing 2000 15x7 9.62 Speedline 2120 Turini 16x7 8.94

Italian 3.2 V6
I had 15" magnesium OZ F1's on my old 172 (from an old cup racer). It got drove hard and was used daily all year round. Didn't have one issue with the mag wheels - alot of people say there very brittle and damage easy. Very light but like rocking horse s**t unfortunately.

Another shout for the OZ ultras, good looking wheel yet still very light. Don't get PR 1.2's, way too common. Local bad boy racers (chavs) are even rocking them lately.

If your really wanting to save weight and gain performance, You should also look into the willwood 4pot brake conversion. Oh and wheels wise go 15"s, not 16".

Q

Qube

Thanks for all the replies, folks! The TD PR 1.2's look good for their price... Shame about them being everywhere, like you say PSJ. I just went to lunch and saw some on a 1.4 Corsa TDI with black out windows and racing stripes. :|

I like the look of those OZ but £700 per wheel?! Wow... Looks like there's a TD moment coming on.

I have got TD 1.2 for my set of wets and the ultraleggeras for slicks. The ultraleggeras were £589 inc vat for the set and the TD's were £378 inc vat so about £200 difference but I much prefer the OZ's