ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

light weight flywheel

inferno 182cup
hi all i want one, for what ever gain there is. a gain's a gain
what i need to know is by whom has got one is....... what make is the best, what weight is the best gain, what material r they i ask for starter reasons, do they still idle a bit or do they cut out some times and can i use my standard starter ie teeth and will the starter chew the teeth off it in no time if used on daily basis.

cheers:)

340i
I had a standard flywheel lightened and balanced...

IIRC it had around 1.5kg of material removed.

No difference on idle etc.

Lionel Richie
waste of time TBH JUST for a flywheel as a single "moddification" stock one is light enough anyway

340i
waste of time TBH JUST for a flywheel as a single "moddification" stock one is light enough anyway

I didn't notice any difference after fitting mine... Waste of money really!

I got it skimmed when doing the clutch and he offered to do it at a 'cheap price' LOL

inferno 182cup
dont fancy getting it skimed tbh ive heard horror stories about this.
i was aiming about 3 kg mark but is it true that the under 3/2kg ones r alloy with a thin steel crank sensor ring and wont my starter kill the teeth on the wheel itself

Ph2 1.2, Ph1 172
I had one in my mini and i notice quite a difference on that, although it did have quite a lot of engine work done so it was a worthwhile mod in my eyes. Not something i would have in the clio though as it seems to be nicely balanced on acceleration power as it is.

ITB'd MK1
dont fancy getting it skimed tbh ive heard horror stories about this.
i was aiming about 3 kg mark but is it true that the under 3/2kg ones r alloy with a thin steel crank sensor ring and wont my starter kill the teeth on the wheel itself

you've been mislead then. it's correct practice to skim a flywheel before fitting a new clutch to remove surface cracks and make the face flat. This will help extend the life of a clutch quite significantly

340i
you've been mislead then. it's correct practice to skim a flywheel before fitting a new clutch to remove surface cracks and make the face flat. This will help extend the life of a clutch quite significantly

exacto!

I had some lovely heat spots on my 172 flywheel before it was skimmed..

And quite a few F4R's have leaking crank seals.. So a good time to replace that also, when the flywheel is off.

172 cup
If i am doing the clutch and seals I will do it even if it makes it go that little bit better. Why not I have never had one machined before so got to try it sometime.