ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leon FR Estate

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Or Leon ST FR 125 TSi to give it its proper name.

Latest family car, gotta have it for 3 years as it's a lease. The appeal of fixed cost motoring was huge after the S-max fucked us over good and proper for a second time in 6 months.

CCE71C99-34F9-4CDD-BA05-1E778DC1FBBA.jpeg
4DD86898-7C59-4936-B411-1780EDC768B5.jpeg
33FC2D98-CA8F-4448-9457-379F46C2E793.jpeg
B9A41801-B705-4417-8606-7DF9DC51089F.jpeg
1CF0C73C-FCDB-4CED-BC80-FE9B91E793E9.jpeg

So yeah, no plans other than keep it in acceptable condition and enjoy stress free family car life for a bit.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Good stuff. I have a seat Ateca for the family car. Pretty much the same jnside as the Leon. Apple car play is a very good feature.

Fixed cost no hassle is good. Especially if you have some cars that do require some love you always have one working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rb 182
Good stuff. I have a seat Ateca for the family car. Pretty much the same jnside as the Leon. Apple car play is a very good feature.

Fixed cost no hassle is good. Especially if you have some cars that do require some love you always have one working.

This statement is so very accurate for John's and my life.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
If all else fails you could turn them over I guess.
What about taking them up and putting them in the dishwasher.?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Looks smart does that. Shame the S-MAX let you down. My Mondeo got punted by a Fiesta on Saturday, so it doesn't look like it lasted long enough to cause me any trouble ?

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Lookin’ smart. Spec looks good too. Much prefer the restyled front bumper on the FL. Bit more aggressive.

Looks very smart! Practical yet sporty looking. Sounds like a sensible move after your last car. What happened to the S Max?

My 172 has also screwed me over in the past year (water pump, throttle body, alternator, shock absorbers, and even a new engine).

Due to an expanding family I looked at lease deals but ended up buying a used BMW 1 series. I’m hoping this will prove to be our reliable car!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
That's alright that. Feel like it needs a slightly bigger spoiler or something as looks a bit 'flat' at the back from the side view... but that's me being pedantic :p

Kind of like the angled interior!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Cue the multi-quote!

Looks smart does that. Shame the S-MAX let you down. My Mondeo got punted by a Fiesta on Saturday, so it doesn't look like it lasted long enough to cause me any trouble ?

Aye? I'll have a search. Sucks but maybe saves you longer term hassle!

Lookin’ smart. Spec looks good too. Much prefer the restyled front bumper on the FL. Bit more aggressive.

Yeah, it's a decent looking thing for sure. Couldn't be picky with colours as it was an in stock deal, so it was 2 shades of grey, white or this.

Looks very smart! Practical yet sporty looking. Sounds like a sensible move after your last car. What happened to the S Max?

My 172 has also screwed me over in the past year (water pump, throttle body, alternator, shock absorbers, and even a new engine).

Due to an expanding family I looked at lease deals but ended up buying a used BMW 1 series. I’m hoping this will prove to be our reliable car!

Smax has just been a dick. Power steering issues then the water pump shat itself now the fan doesn't work. For being the reliable family car that needs to always be working it's been nothing but a pain in my arse. So we're taking a f**king massive hit on it and getting shot.
Hope the 1 series is kinder to you!

That's alright that. Feel like it needs a slightly bigger spoiler or something as looks a bit 'flat' at the back from the side view... but that's me being pedantic :p

Kind of like the angled interior!

I know what you mean but I think the only mod will be removing the L E O N badges to clean up the back end. Being a lease I don't see any point in doing anything else.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Seriously considering one of these next in auto form, look smart and well kitted out. How does the engine suit?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Seriously considering one of these next in auto form, look smart and well kitted out. How does the engine suit?

Yeah it seems to do ok. I mean it's never gonna be quick but the mid range and response is really good for what it is. It arrived having done 200 miles up from Bradford at 50mpg.

The kit is really pretty good but coming from older cars I'm always going to think that!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Same engine as mine. Perfectly acceptable for what it is. Mine averages 50. 60 on a long run.

You can’t get the auto in the 125ps variant only the 150.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Mystery blue it's called. Which is a good name for it cos we thought it was lighter! Hadn't seen one before it showed up.

? er.... I'll get back to you on that!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Na, I mean it's obviously smaller but there's probably more legroom than the 9-3 estate we had. The eldest sits behind me and it's just a touch further forward than I'd like with her there but still comfy. I am 6ft2 though and she's a tall 4.5 year old.

No other complaints at all, handles nicely, goes well, doesn't use much fuel, stereo is really good, lights are excellent. Honestly I'd have another if I could. But with more power ?

Allan H

ClioSport Club Member
  Ford Puma, Focus
Trying to decide at the mo between a 1.4 petrol150 fr or a 2.0 150 diesel fr..
Prob do 10k miles a year, mix of commuting and 30 odd mile motorway commutes. Have heard the 1.4 engine is a bit smoother but still goes ok. Prob keeping it for 5 to 10 years so petrol mibbe better than diesel for dpf probs later on? Have had a diesel focus for 50k miles and no dpf issues (steering rack went though!) So am just unsure if petrol more suited to us.. esp with the rising cost of diesel nowadays!

Allan H

ClioSport Club Member
  Ford Puma, Focus
I have no idea. Pressure washer seemed to lift some of it but any suggestions welcome.

Cat litter. Sprinkle on generously, brush on/in a wee bit then leave it for a while. Brush up.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I was looking at these recently. Seem to be able to get 2.0 TDI FR estates with sensible miles for under £10k now. Seems a lot of car for the money.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Prob do 10k miles a year, mix of commuting and 30 odd mile motorway commutes. Have heard the 1.4 engine is a bit smoother but still goes ok. Prob keeping it for 5 to 10 years so petrol mibbe better than diesel for dpf probs later on? Have had a diesel focus for 50k miles and no dpf issues (steering rack went though!) So am just unsure if petrol more suited to us.. esp with the rising cost of diesel nowadays!

I'd go for the petrol for sure. As you say diesel is more expensive and how much more economical do you need it to be than mid 40s?

Ours is on 5k now and we're still loving it. The civic is beginning to give grief and I'm now considering the older shape Leon fr as a replacement!

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
@Djw John how is it on longer trips? My alfas a 1.4 petrol turbo with similar power and on long motorway runs can get a bit tiresome. These do tick all the boxes for me next as a dependable, practical 'daily'.

Also is the estate actually worth the extra space? I know some estates end up not really being that much more practical than the hatch!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
It's grand, 70mph on cruise is low 50s, mid 80s is still over 40. The torque starts off low enough that leaving it in 6th is fine.

Unfair to compare to the Clio but better in every single way than the 1.8 civic we've got.

Boot is defo bigger than the 5 door (we borrowed one for a month) but obviously not huge. I love an estate though so would go for it regardless.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

Petrol all the way ! Missus has a polo blue GT 150 ps act petrol goes really well will do min 40 mpg everywhere no matter how you drive it longer runs mid to high 50s easy! Had ours from new now done 34 k and it's been faultless.
Picks up any gear any speed way quicker than a diesel (or most petrol for that matter!?)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just clicked over onto 7k today. So looks like the 8k mileage pa will be a bust!

Done over 500 miles in it this week and liking it more and more. 50mpg fully laden and a roofbox and without them handling and midrange that makes Highland roads fun. Sure the steering feel ain't great but it grips very well in all conditions.

4A6F654B-F6DB-4F37-8FB2-4FD6AD4EC37F.jpeg

83ED1622-8B7A-49EE-A30C-D747C454B6E9.jpeg