ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

led strip lights in footwell

Hi all,

I'm thinking about putting some led strip lights in my mk3 Clio' footwell has anyone done/ know of it being done. Also if I was to where to get everything. I would ideally like to install a switch somewhere. My guess is that it can be run from the 12v but I'm worried about damaging the battery

Any help would be great thanks in advance :)

CursedTitanium 182FF
The parts required (obviously could be different):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181039455965 - any NC/NO switch

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-30cm-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item23254568fd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10cm-Ambe...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2325c63a73

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Rou...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a6992c4d2 - any normal switch (avoided lit ones for simplicity)

Wire strippers, crimps, spade connectors, wire (I already had all these)

The process (assuming the switches are placed in the same place as mine):

Remove the interior light, and you'll see 3 wires going into it. The middle will be constant live, and the left one is ground when the doors are open (check with voltmeter though).

Snip these 2 wires and use connector blocks to join 2 additional lengths of wire which need to be long enough to run down to your NC/NO switch (which will be used for permanent on/with the interior light). I used a thin bit of metal to feed them through a visible hole, on the right, through to the windscreen, and then tucked them under the headliner up to the right A pillar.

Pull the rubber off of the A pillar, and pull the A pillar cover off (although you may need to push the clips in when it is partially off to ensure nothing snaps). Feed the wires down the A pillar (there's a slot on the clips) and into the back off the dash (it'll make sense when you see it, once they're at the bottom of the A pillar you can go through the side of the dash, and they'll pop out near the pedals).

Drill a hole for the switch in the little panel where the dash brightness adjuster is, and attach the ground to either the NO or NC on the switch (normally open/closed). Add an inline fuse to the constant live (I bodged one, using a 2amp fuse and spade connectors). Here's where I put mine, but not sure if you'll have space there (mine's poverty spec!)

IMG_2432.jpg

The live then needs to go to the positive on the first LED strip (I used connector blocks for simplicity). You then need to connect the LED strips in parallel to one another (ie. red to red to red, and black to black to black). The first strip will have 2 wires in the positive block, and the last will have 2 in the negative).

To get the gearstick surround off, pull the 2 sides out near the back (will hear a click), and then remove the cup holder - ashtray first, then the cup holder pops out, but remember you need to unplug the cigarette lighter before completely removing it, so don't pull too hard! The whole surround should then be loose, pull it towards the handbrake to release. I then removed the plastic cover above the cup holder in order to run the wires for the LED strip behind it - it pulls off, pull it straight back from the bottom.

From the last LED strip, the second negative needs to go to the rocker switch. I placed mine on the gearstick surround (pictures below). Then from the rocker switch all the way back to the NC/NO switch. Connect it to the constant connector on the switch.

IMG_2431.jpg

Then, the last thing to do is to run a wire from the NC/NO connector you haven't used on the switch back to the cigarette lighter. Use a connector block to join it to the black wire on the cigarette lighter's wiring.

If you use a lit switch, like I did, then connect the switch's LED to the dash adjusters wiring (although it works in reverse for some reason?!). Once again, I just snipped them and used connector blocks.

Once you've tested them and they work you can put everything back together, stick the strips down, and cable tie/push any wires out of sight.

I hope that that makes sense, and obviously a bit of common sense inbetween the steps is required - ie running wires through places that won't get squashed etc.

One other thing though, the NC/NO switch I used had tiny connectors which meant I had to solder lengths of wire onto them which then meant more connector blocks! It was a bit of a ball ache to be honest, but it all worked out in the end! Here's what I mean:

IMG_2436.jpg

Also, if you wanted to simplify things you could use just one switch instead of two, and use something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Round-Bla...al_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item4d06b8fc7f.

This guide was made by smiler_