ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LED Dash conversion

Megane RS250
I tried and can't get the any of the smd's to light. Any advice would be amazing cause I can't drive at night now!!

clio 172 ph2
what my 1 looks like

IMAG0010.gif

IMAG0011.gif

here is them at night, looks much better
IMAG0013.gif

I tried and can't get the any of the smd's to light. Any advice would be amazing cause I can't drive at night now!!

Hoping that you noted the notches in the corner from the old SMD :)

If so then try tinning both the PCB then the leg of the SMD then it's a much easier joint to solder so not much heat is excessive on either part.

Try after soldering each SMD to check by either attaching it to your car or to apply 12v over certain pins.

Plus did you order the correct PLCC 2 SMDs? :eek:

Megane RS250
I have the lock doors and heated rear window working, but the speedo is all dark, manual climate is all puffed out, the window buttons on the drivers side are dark and dont even work, the passenger is half lit and doesnt work, the ESP one is lit and working, cruse control is dark.. i actually give up. only had the car a few days and its the first thing ive tried. FML, majorly sick and wish i never f**king started!!!:mad:

Twingo Dynamique
i know that somebody who knows what they're talking about is somewhere on this thread.. so could you tell me if you can change the colour of the clock bit (centre of dash) as well? same process??

i know that somebody who knows what they're talking about is somewhere on this thread.. so could you tell me if you can change the colour of the clock bit (centre of dash) as well? same process??

Yea you can if you two plugs at the back you can replace the bulbs but will need to remove the filter or sand down the orange filter so it should diffuse the light better.

The bulbs are T5 wedge capleas bulbs aka dashboard leds plus your best getting a wide angle led to diffuse it better again.

But if you have 1 plug you'll have to replace the smds on a board these are plcc 4.

Hope that helps you :)

I have the lock doors and heated rear window working, but the speedo is all dark, manual climate is all puffed out, the window buttons on the drivers side are dark and dont even work, the passenger is half lit and doesnt work, the ESP one is lit and working, cruse control is dark.. i actually give up. only had the car a few days and its the first thing ive tried. FML, majorly sick and wish i never f**king started!!!:mad:

If you have a multi meter put it in continuity test and bridge across the smds n bear in mind some of the smd will be run in parallel and series so may appear dimmer hope it'll help you find the issue :)

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
would also add, to much heat will kill a smd led. done it so many times but lesson learnt. best way to do the intrument cluster is take one by one off, note-ing the correct polarity path, -led+ or +led-

9 volt battery and some crock clip wires ( two pieces of wire will do ) and check which way round the new smds are, then place them exactly on the intrument cluster as the old ones came off in polarity wise.

as thingy said above aswell, bit of solder on the contacting surfaces will help bond the smds better with far less ' heat exposure '

would also add, to much heat will kill a smd led. done it so many times but lesson learnt. best way to do the intrument cluster is take one by one off, note-ing the correct polarity path, -led+ or +led-

9 volt battery and some crock clip wires ( two pieces of wire will do ) and check which way round the new smds are, then place them exactly on the intrument cluster as the old ones came off in polarity wise.

as thingy said above aswell, bit of solder on the contacting surfaces will help bond the smds better with far less ' heat exposure '

Holla

172 Phase II
Is it possible to have the dials in one color, say blue, and the needle in another color (red)?

You can use filter paper behind the dials and somehow create a filter for the dials. I'd put white LEDs in then colours will be the same as of the filters.

But the LEDs light the whole cluster so you can't apply different colour LEDs for the dials and the needles.

So as above filters are your only way.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I left it stock, as the needles have a red backing to them, but you could scrape that off and put a circle of filter sheet around the motors, or in fact you could paint the backs of the needles a different colour, if you were lighting everything with white LEDs.

Clio 1.6 16V
I left it stock, as the needles have a red backing to them, but you could scrape that off and put a circle of filter sheet around the motors, or in fact you could paint the backs of the needles a different colour, if you were lighting everything with white LEDs.

Do you have a photo of yours , and you used white or blue lights ?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
All white. If you want to use different colours then you'll probably have to use all white LEDs and then filter everything, as for example blue LEDs with a red filter will block all light.
Photo 26-12-2014 9 53 01 pm.jpg