ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leaving my Williams out in the winter..

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
This winter my Williams 3 has had to be parked outside in front of my garage as the garage is full! We bought a cover for it that was relatively cheap (£40 i think?) It fits decently, not amazingly well but it does cover it all up. Am I better not covering it up at all and letting it bare the elements, or keeping it covered up? Im just concerned as I've heard leaving covers on that aren't tailor made can leave swirl marks/scratches on the paintwork. What do you think?

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
What you've heard is right. Non tailored covers will and do leave little blemishes in paint. Some are easily removed but some still big you months after.

Imo keep the cover off and wash it every once and a while. Start it up and put the heaters too warm so the inside heats up. Damp is the worst.

Oh, and leave your handbrake off.

197 RB
I wrapped mine in blankets and then put a car cover over it over the winter for about 4months in the rain and snow. No issues with the paint afterwards. I used ratchet straps to ensure nothing flapped out and rubbed the paint surface.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Deffo keep it covered up. You want the minimum moisture on the arches.

Mine hasn't been out in the wet for c 3 years - bit over protective.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Be careful its a breathable cover, or the condensation under it being held next to the paint will rot it far quicker than leaving it uncovered will.

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Thanks for responses - car cover looks breathable chip - has those tiny little holes in it, hopefully will garage it in 2-3 months time anyway.