ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Least dramatic way to write off a car....

I have well err had a 94 RT, I know its no valver or 172 but i did love her....

Was driving home tuesday night skidded slightly coming round a corner in the wet and cliped the curb.

Looked at the damage - front bumper slightly lowered flat tyre, alloy damage and wheel looked misaligned . Not the end of the world i though.

How wrong could i be - turns out it also damaged the sub frame axel, the chaisse (sp) and suspension eg quite beyond economic repair:(

Ive also decided not to claim on the insurance, as much as id like to they wouldnt give me much for it realistically and i would loose 2 years no claims which at 20 years old is absolutly neccessary.

Felt like putting my dog down at the vets or something

lots of people try to kill themselves when the weather changes, people need a close encounter it seems before they adopt a winter driving stance.

winter is deffo chill out time.

so what u gonna do then?

buy another?

yeah, and i know it sounds a harsh thing to say but better to learn from what you did in an RT than say a 172 or something.

lol well some comments where amusing...

what am i gonna do good question....

well it all depends if I can get a lone from the rents (recon i want about 3k) I do like clios and originally thought about getting a valver at some point after the RT. ( Dunno something i like about them styling and feel alway wanted one when i was in my early teens.) However I really dont know that Id buy a valver or even a renault again (had though megane coupe) The rt showed me that theyre full of bloody problems in the time I had it I had problems with electrics, window, bloody sunroof leaks, heater and remote locking and it doesnt help the fact that the dealers are crap and parts so expensive. This is really steering me towards thinking about something more reliable - dont think i could ever buy a nazi tractor (VW) but maybe a Honda Civic coupe? Shrug

Quote: Originally posted by weight on 29 November 2003

lots of people try to kill themselves when the weather changes, people need a close encounter it seems before they adopt a winter driving stance.

Yup, the Ice is gonna get me!

Quote: Originally posted by Breakout on 29 November 2003

Yup, the Ice is gonna get me!
It happened to me last year. Some stupid cow slammed on in the rain and i ran straight into the back of her knackered ford fessy - splitting her back valance and at the time i trhought she had only screwed up my bonnet and put a hole in the bumper. so, cos i run into the back of her and couldnt prove she slammed on, i paid for her repair which was £86 cos i thought that only my bonnet was smashed in. closer inspectionfound that the front pannel was pushed back and headlight casings were cracked. Cost me £270 for copy parts labour and spray job so it more or less equalled the cost of £350 excess. Lesson to be learned - Keep your distance in rain/snow/ice! or you will learn the hard way like me - had loads of trouble getting it MOTed because of the headlight aim.

Quote: Originally posted by cliopower on 29 November 2003

Keep your distance in rain/snow/ice! or you will learn the hard way like me - had loads of trouble getting it MOTed because of the headlight aim.
You should always keep your distance from the car in front! As far as I am away, it is the responsibility of the person behind not to run into the person in front.

You have my sympathy mate, Im still suffering from a similar altercation with a steep kerb in October - mine was through no fault of mine which made it worse, total loss of control at very low speed (backed up by a Cliosporter who was driving behind me at the time!!!)

I replaced absolutely everything on the front left side (suspension parts + hub + brakes etc etc!) and its still not 100%.... Subframe damage is the most likely answer, but Im yet to find out exactly how bad things are.

Mine is driveable in the meantime thankfully - hope I dont find out the chassis etc is gone too tho it should be fine

Amen to that!

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 29 November 2003

Amen to that!
Ill double that !! i slid on the ice and bent my subframe on my first clio ! was only doin 15 mph but thats all it takes in the ice ! TAKE NOTE KIDS WINTER IS GRANNY DRIVING TIME !

yep, if summat is gonna happen it will happen in winter i learnt the hard way too, first winter driving 2 years ago came round not so sharp corner at 30mph and thats all i remember till waking up in intensive care a week later. mx g/f at the time also died so everyone be careful no matter how long uve bn driving theres still the unknown.

alex

Quote: Originally posted by alx1 on 29 November 2003

yep, if summat is gonna happen it will happen in winter i learnt the hard way too, first winter driving 2 years ago came round not so sharp corner at 30mph and thats all i remember till waking up in intensive care a week later. mx g/f at the time also died so everyone be careful no matter how long uve bn driving theres still the unknown.

alex
sh*t man, thats bad. :(

Mr2 Roadster

Quote: Originally posted by White16valver on 29 November 2003

Quote: Originally posted by alx1 on 29 November 2003

alex
sh*t man, thats bad. :(
This is indeed bad, very sad but... I commend Alex for being able to face this and share it with us and the lesser experienced drivers. Hopefully if it stops one person and makes them think, then Alex has done good! Just beware out there folks!

Alex, am very sorry to hear your story, lost for words, I cant possibly comment?!?!