ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leaking rear dampers

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I noticed my rear suspension on my 182 was making some unusual knocks and bangs over the weekend, and after inpsection found that the NSR damper was dripping with fluid from the seals letting go.

The car is only 2yrs old so I spoke to Renault and they won't replace it under warranty, apparently it's a wear and tear item so I've got to pay. Is this right? Sureley it must be faulty after only 2yrs and 20K miles?

If I have to pay for it, would it be worth buying an uprated aftermarket pair as I don't know if mine are any different from standard as its fitted with the cup suspension pack?

www.renparts.co.uk
its a wear and tear item, but a very common failiure, ring RUK i reckon, just say you have been in contact with trading standards and they are saying its not fit for purpose, especially seeing as you have covered such few miles. If RUK don't agree to do the work you should at least get a contribution, its not a very expensive job anyway.

I got two new shocks replaced under warranty...exactly the same thing...harsh 'bottoming-out' sound everytime i went over a bump. upon inspection, fluid dripping down the outside of the shocks...seal had gone. think there was a bad batch of shocks....defected. ask again! think you might be looking at around £80 per shock...but not exactly sure on the price.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Thanks for the advise, I've been given an apporx price of £49 each. Will def try RUK though and see how I get on.

Would it be worth replacing both sides at the same time or not worry about the drivers side until it breaks

I had this, dealer said they were only 12months warranty but I phoned RUK and they agreed to replace it foc.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
RUK have agreed to cover most of the cost with me paying a small percentage towards it so they're kinda going in the right direction :)

www.renparts.co.uk
RUK have agreed to cover most of the cost with me paying a small percentage towards it so they're kinda going in the right direction :)

i would push for full amount, my argument would be that they know they are at fault if they are contributing most, also a shock isn't fit for purpose if its gone after 20k, not a one off either its a very very common problem on the 182.