ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LCD vs. Plasma?

Plasma looks better for standard def stuff like watching Corrie on, but LCD is miles better for HD stuff providing you dont buy a shitty no namer. Mine's 40" and the quality doesn't suffer at all, that's a load of rubbish. My mate has exactly the same set in 32" and was wowed by it. Plasma is going to be a thing of the past before too much longer imo, they are cheap nasty tat. All this stuff about the contrast and blacks and whites being better is also a myth imo... end of the day it's up to you, best would be to just go check them out and see which you prefer.

Revels Mum & Sister
I have been through 2 Plasmas and 2 LCD's in the past few years

To my eyes I much prefer the picture on the Panasonic plasma I have now to both the LCD's but the other plasma was a HD Compatible LG and it wasnt as good as the Hitachi LCD I have/had

Racin Blue 182
Plasma looks better for standard def stuff like watching Corrie on, but LCD is miles better for HD stuff providing you dont buy a s**tty no namer. Mine's 40" and the quality doesn't suffer at all, that's a load of rubbish. My mate has exactly the same set in 32" and was wowed by it. Plasma is going to be a thing of the past before too much longer imo, they are cheap nasty tat. All this stuff about the contrast and blacks and whites being better is also a myth imo... end of the day it's up to you, best would be to just go check them out and see which you prefer.

No offence mate, but you've fallen into the old 'I've got one so it must be better' trap. I've got a plasma and think it's superb, but I know there are also LCD screens out there which are now its equal in terms of PQ. To say LCD's are 'miles' better at HD is also pushing it a bit. It would be interesting to compare the HD output of the best LCD's - probably the Sony W/X series or the Philips 9831D against the best plasma's such as the Pioneer 5000EX or the new 1920x1080 Panasonic 50" screen and see which performed best.....

not at all, I researched it for months before I bought one. Plasma is better for SD, LCD imo is much better for HD, especially gaming on the 360 where I noticed a pretty obvious difference over the Plasma's available at the time. I bought mine almost a year ago now, so granted the technology has moved on some, so I dont really pay much attention to it, but for the money I planned on spending I sacrificed size for quality and went for an LCD when I could have bought a bigger plasma TV for less.

Revels Mum & Sister
I personally think its more of a case of what you PREFER rather than what is better.

Ok some sets are better than others but the actual tech I dont think one is better overall than the other.

Plasma looks better for standard def stuff like watching Corrie on, but LCD is miles better for HD stuff providing you dont buy a s**tty no namer. Mine's 40" and the quality doesn't suffer at all, that's a load of rubbish. My mate has exactly the same set in 32" and was wowed by it. Plasma is going to be a thing of the past before too much longer imo, they are cheap nasty tat. All this stuff about the contrast and blacks and whites being better is also a myth imo... end of the day it's up to you, best would be to just go check them out and see which you prefer.

:lolup:

If you believe that and are happy then carry on.

After all they say ignorance is bliss.

yup ignorance is bliss, afterall, you bought a Trophy when a Leda'd 182 would be be cheaper and smash it into the ground and doesn't only come in a ghey red colour ;)

yup ignorance is bliss, afterall, you bought a Trophy when a Leda'd 182 would be be cheaper and smash it into the ground and doesn't only come in a ghey red colour ;)

Sounds like you have both plasma and trophy envy. :rasp:

yeah, I'd love a car with 60bhp less ;) pmsl

Told you, totally unimpressed with plasma, besides which they were miles cheaper when I bought my LCD, so it's not like I didn't have the option :clown:

yeah, I'd love a car with 60bhp less ;) pmsl

Told you, totally unimpressed with plasma, besides which they were miles cheaper when I bought my LCD, so it's not like I didn't have the option :clown:

As I said ignorance is bliss.

Racin Blue 182
It's really each to their own, I researched LCD/plasma for over a year before being in a position to buy one and found that LCD's just didn't cut it, although I don't play Xbox on mine for 8 hours a day:rasp: (only 3 hours;) )

btw, which plasmas were miles cheaper? I could walk out today and buy an 'LCD' 37" for £500....

when I bought mine I could have got a Plasma 42" for about £200-300 less on average, had it about a year or so now. The ones I tested as I said the Plasma was better for SD stuff, HD and Xbox 360 though they weren't imo... deal with it

Racin Blue 182
when I bought mine I could have got a Plasma 42" for about £200-300 less on average, had it about a year or so now. The ones I tested as I said the Plasma was better for SD stuff, HD and Xbox 360 though they weren't imo... deal with it

Deal with what? Your biased opinion? lol. AFAIK the only half decent LCD's at 40" available a year ago were by Samsung, Sony and Loewe - with the Loewe being silly prices and the other two around the 2K mark (unless you got your arse kicked....). As I said in my earlier post, you've fallen into the 'mine is best' trap. Oh, btw it's good to see from your post above that plasma is best at SD and HD:clown:

Last edited:
It's good to also see the school system failing so miserably... I said it's best for SD, not HD, hence the use of a comma to break the point up... :clown:

I bought a Samsung too, didn't pay £2000 though, I shopped around for the best deal at the time :rasp:

Racin Blue 182
lol, I even strugggel to got mi spulling write sumtymes!

Seriously tho, I was making a facetious comment about the wording of your post - you clearly state 'Plasma was better for SD stuff, HD and Xbox 360....' lol and it read pretty funny.

Lets just say that you've got a decent telly, I've got a decent telly and leave it at that rather than making pointless generalisations eh?:approve:

Better than yours. C*nt.
Your tellys are all crap.

What you want is your living room wall to be perfectly flat, persuade the wife you want a white and black theme in the room and get a HD Projector!

Imagine how big a wall-sized gash would be!!

pmsl, fair point drac182, I just prefer LSD... we were talking about LSD not LCD weren't we? ;)

HD projectors rock, my mate has one on an 80" wide screen white board, was quality for the world cup, they aint exactly what I would call cheap though... well, he paid a fair bit for his when he got it!

Revels Mum & Sister
I sold mine due to lack of use but I had a Hitachi PJ-TX200 was HD Ready and only cost £799