ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LCD TV extended warranty - worth it?

I'm going to buy an LCD TV soon, but I need help deciding the best deal. I know which TV I want (Toshiba 32WLT66) - no suggestions on that please;)

The question is: is it worth paying for a warranty up to either 2 or 5 years, or just stick with the standard 1 year manufacturers warranty.

The options:

- £681 (1 yr warranty & delivery) from online retailer
- £780 (2 yr warranty & delivery) from online retailer
- £895 (5 yr warranty) from John Lewis in high street

Is it likely the TV will break within 1,2, or 5 years? Expensive to fix if outside warranty?

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i just got a 1 year warrenty. if its breaks i'll claim on the house insurance.

1996 Valver
I work for Comet, and as you know will all the high street stores, warrantys and finance are all they are interested in!

They can be worth it because they DO break down, and will cost a fortune if it does.

Best advise is to haggle, if they are anything like comet they WILL give you good discount off the warranty.

Only other thing is to take out a yearly policy after the first year, through somone like domestic & general ,only downside to this is they do cost more!

great tv :)

tbh you could get jl to prise match the other places id imagine

They already beat them for a 5 year guarantee ;) (just)

I'm tempted to go there for piece of mind and the fact that it's on the high street so if there is a problem its easy to go in and rant :mad: . Also I got my last TV from there with no probs (1 failure in 3 years which they fixed quick)

Thing is if I get the TV and it's fine for 5 years I'll feel a bit of a wanker lol

I work for Comet, and as you know will all the high street stores, warrantys and finance are all they are interested in!

All TV's at John Lewis come with a 'free' 5 year warranty - so it's not too much of a stitch up from that point of view

The options:

- £681 (1 yr warranty & delivery) from online retailer
- £780 (2 yr warranty & delivery) from online retailer
- £895 (5 yr warranty) from John Lewis in high street

Is it likely the TV will break within 1,2, or 5 years? Expensive to fix if outside warranty?

sorry, do those prices include the tv?!!?

1996 Valver

All TV's at John Lewis come with a 'free' 5 year warranty - so it's not too much of a stitch up from that point of view

That sounds quite good then, just make sure you read the T&C and are sure on what is/isnt covered.

Only thing is if you buy grom JL you are still paying for it in the long run.....£900! as apposed to £700 online, if you buy from the right place you can reserve online and pay & collect in store.

1996 Valver
Better Contrast ratio, extra connections (1 more HDMI)

Must be alot more, not to sure, Not worth it IMO!

not search function lol

when you click buy on the tv and go to your basket you can ad a discount code :) that code gives you £40 off

Oh! I knew I was'nt doing something right lol :eek:

However you know when it asks you to enter a postcode to check availability - well it says its out of stock on every postcode I've tried! So I hav'nt even got to use your PERK.... code. FFS!

Thanks for the quick reply's btw McBunny