ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Launch Control?

BG Clio 182
What is this magical launch control people go on about? .. Think I'm the only numpty that isn't clued up on this

Lotus Elise
Well, real launch control measures the amount of grip the driven wheels have and limits the Torque given to them from the engine to maximise your launch and then changes gear and the optimum point.

Chav launch control is just a lower rev limit when the car is stationary.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I seen a RS 172 with launch control for sale on PH, thought the guy was just trying to make it sound faster haha

BG Clio 182
Just curious as to what it was .. Heard loads of people going on about it n there's a few videos of 182's with it on YouTube

True, but a standard 182 will catch and own you in the twisties anyway. If it has Facepalmlands and Bremblol HC discs and DS2500 pads.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
True, but a standard 182 will catch and own you in the twisties anyway. If it has Facepalmlands and Bremblol HC discs and DS2500 pads.

You missed removing the anti-vibration shims from under the seats. Extra 10mm lowers COG giving significantly improved traction off the line apparently. Aforementioned spec does seem pretty formidable tbf, but wouldn't bremblol 'max' offer better acceleration from the lower rotational mass of having those machined channels?

2.2 bar shed.
On a NASP clio? Not so useful. Something with a decent sized turbo, then yes its useful.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Its a cool feature in a novelty kind of way, but as above, completely pointless.

(i've had it on a 172)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It came with the car you old c**t!

I knew you'd have something derogitory to say.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Even on the E46 M3s (only car I've driven with it) it's pretty redundant and only useful if you're using hot slicks. Still fun though.

Lotus Elise
Why would you want a lower rev limit on your clio when its stationary? Can you not hold a steady throttle?

Totally useless, as said, if you cant manage 175bhp then you need shooting.

Might be useful if you have a blue bucket ram intake, gains around 100hp iirc.

The Ph1 i bought as a runabout has it

22545ddf.jpg

I've never used it, can't see the point

Nissan Silvia S15
Race logic traction control? That's a good bit of kit, I have it in my car :) Usually over £500 to buy unless you're lucky and buy a car with it fitted. Soooo many wires though!

It's quite clever, it will pull 1 injector pulse in 4 if it detects wheelspin, if that doesn't bring it under control / within the parameters you've set, it'll pull a second pulse in 4, and then go up to 3 I think if needs be. It lets you get the most possible power down, unlike OEM traction control that just kills any fun.

Not sure you'd need it on a Clio unless you were pushing big power, or just enjoy being lead footed everywhere :)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Launch control ? Well it controls your launch. Observe:

If you need/want that in a 172, you need to get out more...

Last edited by a moderator:
  Evo 5 RS
You were right to put a question mark, pointless on a 172..standard at least

Only thing I've driven (and used) with launch control is an M3 and that's just as s**t. Hit a cat with an electric fly swatter and see what happens. Same effect

Only with the cat you don't hit anything

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
FLOL you don't need LC on an M3 either FFS.

I'm an utter RWD noob with a heavy right foot, and I got to the shiny side of the law in my housemates bus in no time at all even with a hefty sidestep on the clutch (oops was that me :eek: FULLPOWEEEERRRRR) .. there was no need for launch control with tyres wider than my own car haha !