ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laser detector

Been thinking about buying a road angel or b2. However, after a conversation with my neighbor Im thinking twice.

He sais that the speed camera part of it works really well but the portable laser detection doesnt. His logic is that by the time you actually get a laser warning you are already on the dam thing and the cop has recorded your speed!! This kinda makes sense to me cause surely the laser has to hit you for the road angel etc to detect it. If its already hit you than surely it it knows your speed. Is this correct?

The only way I see that it could work was if it somehow scrambled the laser that was hitting the car and sent back a false reading to the cop with the machine.

Anybody out there know if portable laser detection actually works? and if it does how?

When the laser gun sends out a beam onto another car, you get scatter of the beam as its is emitted in a conical shape, so your detector picks up on this scatter telling you there is a laser been operated somewhere near you.

Lee

BMW M2C

I have no idea. I dont even know if mine is high enough up the screen to clear the wiper blades. I really need to find a way of testing it out.

Skoda Fabia vRS

your neighbour is right in a way, if your the only one on the road or if they aim it at you, your buggered...........however, as said above, if they target another car first then the R/A will pick up on the scatter from that

even if it is pointed at you, it might give you enough time to slip off down a side road ! :)

hes right... if theres more cars around you mnight detec the scattering, but if youre alone you might be in trouble, though sometimes the cops take more then one reading, so that should give you a couple of extra seconds. But in general its a 50-50 thing...

You can always get a difuser fitted, though its not legal, so better not tell your insurance company :-]

it takes longer than just the laser hitting you to determin a speed so if u put on the anchors as soon as it hits yuov got a better chance than no detector at all. Anyone know how to test these as i wanna know if mine works? would a laser measuring devide set one off?

ive got a diffuser in mine except i havent installed it yet. would the cops be able to tell if i had one when they lasered me?

Probably, although by the time they had figured it our you could be off down the road.

Anyway just say youve got an electric garge door at home ;)

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

maybe not, some diffusers only diffuse the first signal, so that when the police try again, it picks it up properly to avoid looking suspicious ;) but with a single reading they wont pull u :)