ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Larger wheels + incorrect speedo readings

Another question for you all....

If fit 18s to my 1.2 16v I figure that the speedo will obviously be off by quite a bit ( I reckon about 6mph at 30mph)

That mean when speedo says Im doing 30 Im actually doing 36. Thats bad news!! esp when driving near as many speedos as we have. is there anything that can be done. For instance how is the 172 speedo, which has 16s, different from the 15s equipped 1.2???

Also is there anyone on here who has put 17s or ideally 18s on a 1.2 sport. What kind of performance drain can I expect?

Does it hammer the handling as much as I expect?

Thanks again to you all.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

I think it will read 30mph when your actually doing only 24mph, not the other way round.

no aaron i think hes right - if you think about it, a larger circumference will mean you travel further inone revolution of the wheel. So when your speedo is calibrated to do, say, 10feet per revolution, you are probably doing in fact about 15feet, hence you going faster than it says you are.

i reckon the 18s will drainit quite a lot, as they would need quite a bit of grunt to shift them, and the 1.2 aint really known for its torque! however, if there are any 18s owners out there...

i can see problems with power with the 18s on, IMHO youd be better sticking to 17s, but with a bigger drop

there is a chart on the main page with reference to the tyre sizes and how the speedo readings alter

Cheers for that all, So when we talk performance drops what realistically are we talking about, like slightly slower or like another few seconds on the already snail like 13 secs to sixty.

Are there any fixes for the incorrect speedo? Obviously Renault, VW, etc fit different size wheels across their ranges so must be a way around it.

Thanks

Can I just say that 18" rims on a 1.2 is a bad idea!!! The car will handle like sh*t and will take about 3 weeks 0-60. Go for a set of 16s and deck it between 40-60mm.

Lionel Richie

Its a slow car anyway, sod it and do the 18s, dont worry about the speedo, with my 17s on my speedo reads 115mph at the top end and with my 15s on it reads 120mph??? Its gonna be out anyway cos Renault built it!!!! If youre worried about speed cameras etc, dont be cos theyre all calibrated to go off at speed + 10% + a little bit extra

Ok then mate

Go for it!!!

However, I would save huge amounts of cash for when your suspension starts to give out!!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

16s i can tell you dont affect the speedo at all

and anyway dosent it come off the gearbox and not the wheels?

Cheers for advice all, Already decked it 60mm, its the subject of the SLAM SLAM SLAM post in the spotted section,

16s not really big enough difference from the standard 15s to make it worth it, and I was kinda intrigued by the whole lets be different and put it on 18s!!!

Is there anyone on here that has put 18s on a 1.2 would love to chat if there is.

Thanks

BTW the 16" alloys come with 195 45 tyres and the 15" normal clios have 185 55s so the difference at 60mph is .3 mph ..... speedo would read 60 your be travelling at 59.7.....

16 inch rims dont look small if you choose the right kind of design. If you do opt for 16s then I would look at rims where the spokes go right to the outside of the rim. This gives the illusion that the wheels look bigger than they actually are.

If you wanna be different go for something like 6/7 spoke alloy wheels as there are hundreds of people who have either 5 spoke or multi spoke wheels.

If youre definate on the 18 inch rims then TSW do a really nice chrome wheel which looks the absolute bollox! Its called the heaven seven. (obviously 7 spoke)!

Skoda Fabia vRS

ive gone from 13s to 15s

now using my GPS gatso detector, my speedo seems to over read by about 3mph

i.e. it reads 70, my Snooper S6-GPS says im doing 67

BMW 320d Sport

LOL a 1.2 is never gonna set a new land speed record anyway so you might as well sort it out on 18s. I wonder how low you can go with those big rims on? Obviously the lower the better...

Why not go all out pimp style with a set of 18" chrome Heaven7s and get yourself sorted with a hydraulic suspension kit!!! lol :cool:

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Nick Read on 07 February 2003

LOL a 1.2 is never gonna set a new land speed record anyway so you might as well sort it out on 18s. I wonder how low you can go with those big rims on? Obviously the lower the better...
Well said Nick, especially the last bit!!!!!

They are some NICE wheels!

No disrespect meant to the guys with 16s, just seems a waste for me to shell out money for minimal difference,

Anyone here now any details for hydraulic suspension? Prices? handling etc, heard at one stage makes the car handle like a ship! but not certain how accurate that is.

Need to get some pro advice, I know one guy used ot work at Rtec put 19s on his 106 then snapped the drive shaft! Not something I want to do!

Just looked at hydraulic suspension - £1500+ ouch that hurts!! cant see me doing that, still want something different though.

Has anyone seen any decent kits for the phase 3 clio. Im looking but they all seem really subtle and just not a lot for your money,