ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Large dent advice

clio 182
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice. I have an 2005 182 and last week at around 70mph the bonnet catch must have failed and up it came with a bang. The bonnet and windscreen have obviously had it and the bonnet hit the roof whcih is also in a bit of a state.

The insurance repair centre are saying new bonnet and windscreen and a new roof panel. I can find prices for the bonnet and windscreen but not the roof panel and I am wondering how much these might cost? They have quoted just under £3000 to repair and I thought I would ask here to see if this is a fair price?

I am pretty sure the insurance company will write it off and I am not sure the value of the car. It is a 2005 cliosport 182, bought it from a Renault dealer with 16000 miles on in 2008 and it has now done 51000 with full history and belts last changed when due last year. On autotrader there are quite afew higher mileage ones available so it is hard to judge a value. I am trying to get prepared for an insurance company arguement.

I will try to add some photos now.
Thanks in advance.
IMG_2777.JPG
IMG_2775.JPG
IMG_2778.JPG

182 ff
did you get a recall letter about the catch?if you did get a letter,and Renault checked it,they should pay shouldn't they?
maybe you can fix the roof.. take the lining off,pop it back out.claim for a new windscreen only, then buy a 2nd had bonnet get it sprayed..

Last edited:
Reactions: Gus
  clio 182
No recall letter in the time I had it. I did wonder if the dent could be popped out although not sure if I could do it that well :)

182 ff
No recall letter in the time I had it. I did wonder if the dent could be popped out although not sure if I could do it that well :smile:
i would contact Renault. its there fault it has happened.. they fitted a faulty catch(hence all the recalls.i got the letter about 2 years ago..said take the car in to a dealership,get catch checked for free,they checked it and greased it all.)... contact the head office.. dont touch it till you have contacted Renault..a good panel beater could do the roof easy.. maybe you could with a rubber hammer.. a panel beater might be able to do the bonnet too.. if its not to bad .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
That'll be a write off for sure . A £3000 bill for a car that's worth roughly £3000 . The first recall letters were sent out around 2008 , then a 2nd batch of letters were sent out in 2013 for all those who didn't take up the offer the first time to replace the bonnet catch. It was replaced free of charge , but they also offered to replace the catch for those who's car had been recalled for a charge of £90. After that , it was up to the owner to maintain the catch i.e. keep it clean and lubricated . Sorry to see your car in such a state , but it looks like it's fcuked tbh. If you do manage to pop the den out , it'll probably crack the paint.You'll be very very lucky if Renault accept any responsibility.

Last edited:
  182 ff
That'll be a write off for sure . A £3000 bill for a car that's worth roughly £3000 . The first recall letters were sent out around 2008 , then a 2nd batch of letters were sent out in 2013 for all those who didn't take up the offer the first time to replace the bonnet catch. It was replaced free of charge , but they also offered to replace the catch for those who's car had been recalled for a charge of £90. After that , it was up to the owner to maintain the catch i.e. keep it clean and lubricated . Sorry to see your car in such a state , but it looks like it's fcuked tbh. If you do manage to pop the den out , it'll probably crack the paint.You'll be very very lucky if Renault accept any responsibility.
they might do a good will gesture..fix the bonnet..he did buy it from a dealership in 2008 ,he is lucky to be alive....

RB Clio 182
A 2nd hand bonnet is about £50, claim on insurance for windscreen £75 excess, pop the roof out yourself and get a good panel beater to sort the rest, it will probably need filling and spraying to look perfect, probs £2-300.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
A 2nd hand bonnet is about £50, claim on insurance for windscreen £75 excess, pop the roof out yourself and get a good panel beater to sort the rest, it will probably need filling and spraying to look perfect, probs £2-300.
That would be his only option . Going through his insurance it'll be written off
@klm182 There have been lots of cases about this happening , it was even featured on BBC Watchdog a few years ago. Iirc Renault tried to blame it on poor maintenance and people not closing their bonnets correctly . I don't ever recall reading anybody getting a good will gesture from Renault and them footing the bill .
@minfk . You could try ringing Renault customer services and take it from there . Good luck . Tel 0344 335 0000

clio 182
Thanks for the replies, been really helpful. I will have a look for a panel beater and see what they think and try Renault out of interest.

182 ff
[
That would be his only option . Going through his insurance it'll be written off
@klm182 There have been lots of cases about this happening , it was even featured on BBC Watchdog a few years ago. Iirc Renault tried to blame it on poor maintenance and people not closing their bonnets correctly . I don't ever recall reading anybody getting a good will gesture from Renault and them footing the bill .
@minfk . You could try ringing Renault customer services and take it from there . Good luck . Tel 0344 335 0000
I would aim to get it written off.

Buy it back for 10% of the payout. Spend £500 fixing. Bang, cheap car and £2k in your pocket.
its ok claiming,but will his insurance double for the next 5 years,and lose his no claims,if he has one?

RB 182 FF
I'd find a bonnet from a broken car, claim for the windscreen on insurance and get the roof sorted by a PDR tech or decent bodyshop. I'm pretty sure that roof could be sorted by a decent guy. I wouldn't want to buy back a written off car as it's worth diddley afterwards...

If you didn't get a letter from Renault they have let you down..... its worth talking to them... I had a letter one a year after I bought mine but didn't go to a dealer, I'd say I'd have more idea about the condition of the catch than my local Renault dealer....and my catch looked newly replaced anyway...

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I've used a local buy that does painless dent removal three or four times on different cars. It's brilliant what they can do....

182 ff
I'd find a bonnet from a broken car, claim for the windscreen on insurance and get the roof sorted by a PDR tech or decent bodyshop. I'm pretty sure that roof could be sorted by a decent guy. I wouldn't want to buy back a written off car as it's worth diddley afterwards...

If you didn't get a letter from Renault they have let you down..... its worth talking to them... I had a letter one a year after I bought mine but didn't go to a dealer, I'd say I'd have more idea about the condition of the catch than my local Renault dealer....and my catch looked newly replaced anyway...
i went to my dealer with the letter,to cover myself if it failed ..they only put grease on it..but it was on record that it went in..

182 ff
Why no PDR?!
the roof looks like it can be fixed by a panel beater..maybe a work shop one and not mobile one..they wont be able to do the bonnet..might need taking off the car.might be cheaper to buy a 2nd hand bonnet,get it painted..

RB 182 FF
I love how people treat you like idiots on here @gally ... Obviously the bonnet is totalled, but I've witnessed a roof worse than that fixed by PDR after a branch fell on a car... PDR doesn't necessarily mean a mobile man either..... Paintless dent removal has some clues in the name....

182 ff
I love how people treat you like idiots on here @gally ... Obviously the bonnet is totalled, but I've witnessed a roof worse than that fixed by PDR after a branch fell on a car... PDR doesn't necessarily mean a mobile man either..... Paintless dent removal has some clues in the name....
the roof looks like it can be fixed...maybe if they heat the up, the paint wont crack... am no expert..rather have cracked paint,then a big dent.. anyway Renault should be footing the bill ..for putting rubbish catches on..they said in my letter,the mot checks the bonnet catch and the owner should check it regularly.. who does that? i have never checked one on a car in my life..

Last edited:
  182 ff
i knew an old fella once.. he was a panel beater for 45 years..he was a craftsman..i guess its a dying trade,every car panel is machine pressed nowadays..maybe Rolls-Royce still use them..maybe that gally is a son of an ex panal beater,and PDR is a dirty word in their house hold ha

RB 182 FF
Exactly my thoughts KLM182.... PDR ruining bodyshop rip off respray quotes is my hunch on this...........
What really gets up my snout is people suggesting you are idiot then not explaining themselves after suggesting it....... I await a worthy response..... other than I am GOD and I'm right......always......

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I use PDR on a daily basis for customers, it's a fantastic tool. I also watched a man remove 200+ dents from a hailstone damaged roof on an avensis, i'm well aware what can be repaired. Can you see the ripple further back on the roof? Otherwise known as a kink. Not to mention the front of the roof being "down" on the "cant rail", last time I looked PDR guys couldn't re-align cant rails!

Come on guys we're being silly here, the roof would repair with time spent, properly it needs a new skin but no one wants to do that, a new screen and bonnet wil be easy enough.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Exactly my thoughts KLM182.... PDR ruining bodyshop rip off respray quotes is my hunch on this...........
What really gets up my snout is people suggesting you are idiot then not explaining themselves after suggesting it....... I await a worthy response..... other than I am GOD and I'm right......always......
Haha! You would be surprised at how many PDR jobs we do, we avoid painting any panels we don't have to.

RB 182 FF
The leading edge of the roof will never be perfect with dent removal but you'd get it pretty damned near and not spend anywhere near 3k as was suggested and on a 3k car.... That was my point.......

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm always always happy to learn and be proved wrong though guys, the OP should maybe contact a local guy or send a few pictures to some PDR guys, could work out great.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The leading edge of the roof will never be perfect with dent removal but you'd get it pretty damned near and not spend anywhere near 3k as was suggested and on a 3k car.... That was my point.......
You mean the part the window bonds to and creates a water tight seal? Anything can be done cheap, i'm not sure anyone will argue against that, doesn't mean it will be right. He could repair it himself if he really wanted to.

RB 182 FF
Yeah as water tight as a Renault gets that is.... I suggested a perfectly feasible course of action and you just laughed it off.... it's a 3k tops Clio, why spend a fortune or write it off? Bonnet from a breakers, new windscreen on insurance and PDR to rectify roof as best as possible on a 3k tops Clio... My god I'm such an idiot glue sniffer...

182 ff
I use PDR on a daily basis for customers, it's a fantastic tool. I also watched a man remove 200+ dents from a hailstone damaged roof on an avensis, i'm well aware what can be repaired. Can you see the ripple further back on the roof? Otherwise known as a kink. Not to mention the front of the roof being "down" on the "cant rail", last time I looked PDR guys couldn't re-align cant rails!

Come on guys we're being silly here, the roof would repair with time spent, properly it needs a new skin but no one wants to do that, a new screen and bonnet wil be easy enough.
if it was me, i would do the roof myself.. with a rubber hammer..ok it wont be perfect.. but .less of a dint...i am not an expert panel beater ,i guess rossi isn't either.. and we cant see the roof in real life..rossi just suggested a PDR ,cause its cheap ,maybe they would say the same as you..he was just trying to help the lad who cars been wrecked my a rubbish catch..
you seem to be an expert, and can advise the lad,the right road to go down.. have to remember the better the expert,the more money it costs...

RB Clio 182
Ive had a roof repaired on a previous car, that was the dent knocked out, filled an painted to a perfect finish, it cost me £140 and that's at a recommended local body shop.

I was on about that roof could be sorted for less than £300. Obviously more in total with the screen and bonnet replacement.

Plus I know what some body shops are like at robbing customers, charging for new panels and paint when all they have done is had the dent man out and given it a buff!

182 ff
Love the way you call me Rossi...😂 I wish I was Rossi....:smile:
not typing VR46-G@Z..... on a different subject. i was a biker..have gsxr 750..crashed(woman hit me)..not rode for ages, thinkin getiin another bike..what are the R1s like? i want the power not the weight ..your bike does look good...

RB 182 FF
I do know a little more than I let on, PDR is actually a career I've been contemplating... I went for 2 weeks experience with a PDR tech and that's where I saw the roof repaired after a branch snapped and fell on a car... It was a mess!! I'm aware a roof skin is difficult as it's such a big panel and also thinner than other panels, there will be some stretch in the metal looking at those pics, and wouldn't be easy, but certainly not impossible to look considerably better and definitely a more feasible option than a new roof skin...

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
PDR is always advisable, especially on roof. I think the avensis was nearly a grand all in. Still 750 quid less than a new one and you haven't cut the customer's car apart.

182 ff
PDR is always advisable, especially on roof. I think the avensis was nearly a grand all in. Still 750 quid less than a new one and you haven't cut the customer's car apart.
I do know a little more than I let on, PDR is actually a career I've been contemplating... I went for 2 weeks experience with a PDR tech and that's where I saw the roof repaired after a branch snapped and fell on a car... It was a mess!! I'm aware a roof skin is difficult as it's such a big panel and also thinner than other panels, there will be some stretch in the metal looking at those pics, and wouldn't be easy, but certainly not impossible to look considerably better and definitely a more feasible option than a new roof skin...
as long as the new windscreen can go in ,i would try to fix the dent with the screen out..no way i wouldnt pay £1000 , i wouldn't do anything.. and get legal advise on taking Renault to court ....if its their design fault that caused it.,not just one catch, its 2. thats failed... let a judge decide who is at fault ..if its no win no fee ...he could of been killed..or killed others.. the letter was recorded delivery..so why didn't he receive one? how can he fix a fault,if he doesn't no he has one?
are there any expert lawyers on here? ha when he bought the car in 2008 from Renault,was the catch replaced,if they knew about the fault..did they warn him about the catch then. if it was known?