ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lambda faults and fixes........

Clio 182
Over the pastfew months I have had problems with my Clio 182 with the Lambda 1 - pre CAT.After searching for the problems I have finally fixed the problem with help from people here....

Basically it all started with the car coughing on the motorway one morningunder acceleration and the emissions light coming on. I limped the car home andon examination found the main wires to the Lambda melted together close towhere they travel down the loom near the exhaust at the back of the engine.These wires were replaced with new wires from the ECU to a new Lambda.
I then started the car and found even after a ECU reset etc after the enginereached temperature the emissions light came on again. This was followed againby the engine appearing to be struggling for fuel and idling very poorly, Onlyrunning right after 3K revs. It was also very difficult to drive withmassive hesitation under acceleration again appearing to be running out of petrol.
I did however find that with unplugging the sensor I was able to drive the car around with the ECU giving its own fuel mixture value. (this will make the engine run rich and drink petrol)

I then took the car to a couple of garages and had it plugged into diagnostics...The diagnostics showed Lambda 1 - Bank 1 (pre CAT). So for peace of mind Ichanged the lambda for a bosch part and found the same result...

I then researched this fault and found hundreds of owners reporting similarissues.... Finally after laying under the car in the snow I decided to examinethe exhaust and vacuum system for any leaks etc

After studyingthe exhaust I found that after warm up a very small leak appeared between themetal gasket between the Manifold and CAT, on examination it appears that oxygenwas being sucked into the joint making the Lambda give a false reading and providethe wrong signals to the fuel system....

£25 later for anew gasket kit from Renault and its finally fixed!!;)

Forester STi SG9
That's very helpful, cheers!

I too have the pre-cat lambda error (although haven't experienced any bogging down/running issues), along with a slight leak from the same join so will hold off buying a new lambda for now and will fit a new gasket first. Hopefully you just saved me £50 odd :)

Clio 182
Make sure you get the Renault Kit, Lots of feed back saying the cheap ones are poor... Cheapest I found are from K-Tec

Forester STi SG9
Yes, definitely. That error first showed up after a new non-genuine gasket kit was fitted actually, could never get a proper seal with it as the bolts were too short.