ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking when coasting....

Clio 182
Hi,

I have done a search and cannot find a definitive answer, although some symptoms seem to be consistent with engine mount failures????

My 182 has an annoying knocking sound when the car is at low speed (20mph or less usually) The knock seems to be worse when the car is coasting with the clutch pedal pressed or out of gear totally. It seems to be coming from the passenger side somewhere and you can feel a slight tapping through the clutch pedal in time with the knocking noise. It only seems to be when the passenger side goes over a bump. I

I have just had a set of Sportlines fitted and new suspension top mounts and was hoping that would make the knock go away.... needless to say it didn't! I have had all of the usual things checked (ball joints etc) but nothing is out of the ordinary hence why i am starting to think it is the engine mounts...!

There is not knocking under acceleration or braking, just knocking at low speeds and mainly when the wheels are straight. Seeing as it is coming from the passenger side, could it be the mount underneath the battery?

Im having a new inner drive shaft boot fitted and gearbox oil change next saturday so it would be great to have an idea of what I am looking for so I can get all the work done at the same time! I also plan to change the dog bone mount for a powerflex mount as the gear stick likes to move around!

Thanks!

Clio 182
awww rubbish. Took me ages to find the problem. The ball joints didnt actually rattle until the car was put on one of those shaker plate things. Good luck finding the issue!

"Navy" N17 TWO
Check your wheel bolts are all ok - I had 1 cross-threaded in the hub once (thanks tyre depot!) and when I came off the throttle it made a right clattering match

172 cup- suzu rf600r
Nah ball joints were replaced for the MOT and wheel bolts are fine :dapprove:
There is a little play in the driveshafts so I think theyl need replaced in the not too distant future but it's not enough to make this racket, I think iv maybe narrowed it down to the pish raceland coilovers that came with the car so il pop standard back on and see if that sorts it